Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hotfix clutter?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Koetsu

Koetsu

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 10 July 2011 - 01:00 AM

So I'm desperately trying to recover room off my aging desktop's 160GB internal hard drive. In the root drive, I see dozens of folders with hash for names. They've been accumulating for a while now and total a couple Gigabytes. It says they're hotfixes but I'm not sure if I can remove them. I could sure use the extra space without deleting anything useful.
So can I delete these folders?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 10 July 2011 - 01:18 AM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#3 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 10 July 2011 - 01:23 AM

Sounds like the temporary folders that Windows updates create when they are being installed.

#4 Koetsu

Koetsu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2011 - 01:32 AM

I don't know how much this helps...
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/NNkQ8DNU8jbvCLUzbV4kfj3

#5 dirtdog900

dirtdog900

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 10 July 2011 - 01:35 AM

Sounds like the temporary folders that Windows updates create when they are being installed.

Yep, that's what I'm thinking. They get extracted and are usually cleared up after the install, but for whatever reason that doesn't always happen. I would say it's ok to delete them, can you do a screenshot of explorer showing the folders in question? just to confirm.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2011 - 01:37 AM

Try running this Temp File Cleaner and see if it frees up some space.

Edited by cryptodan, 10 July 2011 - 01:46 AM.

#7 Koetsu

Koetsu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2011 - 01:47 AM

I might have to run the junk cleaner to find more wasted space.

Attached Files

#8 dirtdog900

dirtdog900

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 10 July 2011 - 01:50 AM

That big list of folders are not needed, also have a look at a program called 'tree size pro' - it will scan your local disks and give you an overview of the largest folders.

#9 Koetsu

Koetsu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2011 - 02:28 AM

Well TFC just finished running and probably deleted half-a-decade-old temp files. Everything was slow for a while but it recovered 10GB. It didn't remove the hotfix folders so I guess I'll have to remove them myself.
Would a disk defragmentation be required after cleaning out so much data?

#10 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2011 - 02:34 AM

I agree with dirtdog900. Those folders are not needed. They are remnants of installed updates like I thought. Not sure why they are not being cleaned up.

I see you have a lot of updates installed. You can clear some space by deleting the update uninstallers (%windir%\$NtUninstallKBxxxxxxxx$ and %windir%\ie8updates\KBxxxxxx-IE8) and the $hf_mig$ folder.

I'm not a big believer in the performance gains that a defrag performs but you can analyze the drive and see what the recommendation is.

Posted Image

Edited by .X., 10 July 2011 - 02:52 AM.

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:32 AM

Well TFC just finished running and probably deleted half-a-decade-old temp files. Everything was slow for a while but it recovered 10GB. It didn't remove the hotfix folders so I guess I'll have to remove them myself.

Perform this action using the Disk Clean Up wizard under Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:41 AM

FWIW: If recovering disk space is the goal...the simplest/best approach is to move/remove the large files. Your data files take up much more space than anything else and are definitely nonessential when it comes to requiring space on the hard drive. DVDs and other removeable media can be used to remove such.

Louis

#13 Koetsu

Koetsu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2011 - 06:57 PM

Hold it, I deleted the hotfix files but I've got a couple empty folders in the recycle bin that won't delete. What do I do about this?

#14 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:08 PM

Restore them and then try deleting them with shift+delete.

#15 Koetsu

Koetsu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2011 - 08:39 PM

Restore them and then try deleting them with shift+delete.

Well before I got it in the recycle bin, it said "access is denied". I can't restore them anymore because it says it can't "create or restore" it. This has never happened before.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users