Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry Issues and the Restore Points cannot be found

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pat71896

pat71896

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 09 July 2011 - 10:39 PM

After working over my HP Laptop, Vista 32 bit Home Premium multiple of times, I have come to the conclusion that my Registry is the problem.

I have the full version of McAfee, used MS Registry Cleaner (cannot remember the actual name) and Malwarebytes and all say there are no problems.

If I try to restore to a previous restore point, they are just NOT there. Even if I do a 'save' and look within a few minutes, no luck.

However, programs do not run correctly. I have uploaded the programs to my old Toshiba Laptop, Vista 32 bit and they work fine there. The problem with my Toshiba is that there is a video problem that I have never been able to resolve. I believe it was a 'known' issue but could never fix that video.

Question - Is there such a thing as over writing the Registry? I am not versed enough to do RegEdit.

How would I do it?

Where would I find the correct Registry?

Am I out of my mind (I do miss it sometimes. . . . )

Thank you for any input, Pat

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 10 July 2011 - 05:56 AM

1) Please describe the EXACT problem you are having

2) Stay away from the registry

3) You say you've used registry cleaners? They CAUSE problems, they don't fix anything

4) If I were you I'd uninstall McAfee and replace it with any other av. McAfee products are the worst.

#3 pat71896

pat71896
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2011 - 12:53 PM

The exact problem is dozens of problems. I have a program called Direct Access, it is a 'macro' type of software. I entere URLs or paragraphs of information and give it a 'code' and it is recalled. It won't open, I have to open it manually with difficulty.

The other issues are programs that just don't work, mostly in the video areas. Some are games that I do play.

I just got the McAfee, I have been told it is the best/worst. I have been told Norton is the best/worst.

Is there really a consensus on AV?

Thanks for the input. PaT

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 10 July 2011 - 01:03 PM

There's certainly a consensus that McAfee is the worst. The field is split on Norton products because many folks don't realize how good they've been in recent years (but yes, they did go through a rough patch). I use Kaspersky products - they aren't cheap, but you won't hear anything bad about them from knowledgeable folks.

Again, please describe the EXACT problems you are having with the other programs - just saying they don't work doesn't give us much to go on.. Also, What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

Edited by Allan, 10 July 2011 - 01:04 PM.

#5 pat71896

pat71896
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:16 PM

I finally have something specific that I can say about problems with my laptop.

When I close any program and I want to reopen it, the computer says it is already open. However it is not in the Task bar nor is it in the Task Manager. There is no way to open/view the "open" program. It is not available if I try an "Alt Tab" and that is all the ways I know of to open a currently open program.

Did I mention that I increased my RAM from 3 gig to 4 gig and did not see any improvement (after the Palette issue began).

I was able to get to my previous .reg file and it reloaded its information but no help there. I believe that a program called Palette (for machine embroidery - proprietary software from Brother Sewing International) caused the problems. They say there have been no complaints nor would they entertain my problem because they only know their software - not Registries or anything else.

So, adding back the registry information did not help, something has found its way into my Registry and I cannot get it out even after uninstalling Palette.

Bottom line - Palette did it, now when an application closes it cannot be reopened without shutting down the machine.

Thanks for any assistance, Pat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users