Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error Code 0x80040154 During Install

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pleasehelpeman

pleasehelpeman

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 09 July 2011 - 09:33 PM

Hey all,

So I have a rather odd issue I'm currently grappling with. I am not sure how it came about, but it has been prominent for the last few days. The gist of it is, when installing new programs, I consistently get an error at the latter stages of installation. This error always comes up when the installer is in .lnk files, and comes up as a variety of errors depending on the program. Two examples of these error codes are:

"CoCreateInstancefailed; code 0x80040154. class not registered"
and
"Interface not Supported"

The programs being installed generally still install successfully, but are not listed in the start "all programs" list or in the programs list under add/remove programs in the control panel. In addition to this issue, when attempting to uninstall a program, I almost always receive a message stating "An error occured while trying to uninstall *program*, it may have already been uninstalled. Would you like to remove *program* from the programs and features list?" Finally, in addition to these issues, certain programs (including indesign and poweriso) can not execute certain standard commands. Examples of this are:

1. Open, export, and save as in indesign. When clicked, any of the 3 commands momentarily change the arrow to the load symbol, and then back to the arrow, with nothing happening afterwards.
2. Mount in poweriso. Again, when clicked, the command takes no action beyond a split second loading cursor.
3. Firefox-When I try to export bookmarks nothing happens again. However, importing bookmarks works fine.
4. When opening rhinoceros 4.0, the program loads the opening intro screen, then terminates.

I am running Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 on an Asus, and am fairly confident that all of these incidents relate to the same issue, since they have all come up simultaneously. I am fairly confident it is a registry issue, and have already ran an anti-malware program, anti-spyware program, and others with no apparent infections. I also tried installing a .lnk registry fix after noticing these various issues and restarted, but that had no results either.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

-Erik

Edited by pleasehelpeman, 09 July 2011 - 11:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 10 July 2011 - 06:09 AM

FWIW: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/visualfoxprogeneral/thread/35a85fea-bbf6-422a-8346-204a0f7d16d0

If it were me...I would install SP2 and see if the problem remains, since any SP updates various system files...which may be the problem.

Louis

#3 pleasehelpeman

pleasehelpeman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 10 July 2011 - 01:57 PM

Thanks for the response.

Unfortunately, installing SP2 did not help the problem.

Any other ideas?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users