Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Full wireless bars no network access...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dkittl20

dkittl20

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 09 July 2011 - 07:39 PM

Hi guys,
Pulling my hair out with this one, hopefully some nice person can help me out there.
Im trying to get my wireless to work upstairs in my house. So I upgraded my wireless router to a netgear n600. Im now getting bars upstairs however its now saying "no network access" with the yellow triangle. It connects fine when Im right next to the router but as soon as I get 10 feet away it gives me the no network access. Ill have 5 bars and it will still say it. Ive tryed alot of things around the web to try to get it to work but nothing seems to help, so Im here. My phone connects fine upstairs so Im thinking its something between the computer and router. Im running a pc off the modem and I have a netbook that Im trying to get to work upstairs via wireless. any help is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 09 July 2011 - 07:46 PM

Is your phone a cellular phone?

#3 dkittl20

dkittl20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2011 - 09:00 PM

Is your phone a cellular phone?

Yes an iphone. running wifi. but the modem does have our phone hooked into it not sure if that matters or not, I assume not though.

Edited by dkittl20, 09 July 2011 - 09:01 PM.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2011 - 09:41 PM

Turn the phone off, and see if it gets better.

#5 dkittl20

dkittl20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2011 - 11:09 PM

it was worth a shot but nope, same issue.

#6 dirtdog900

dirtdog900

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 10 July 2011 - 01:24 AM

So you are still connected to the router ok but no internet access etc? If your phone still has access where your netbook drops out, then you have probably isolated the problem down to the netbook. You could test this by running a constant ping to the router ip and moving the netbook around the house, this will show you where your connection is dropping out. Did this netbook work ok on your previous router? It sounds like it didn't but this new router has maybe extended the signal a little further but not quite enough?

#7 dkittl20

dkittl20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2011 - 04:16 PM

Ok so today I went and bought a Netgear Universal WiFi Range Extender (WN3000RP) to boost the signal upstairs, but it doesnt connect either... it wont even connect in the same room. Do you think its possibly the cable providers signal?

#8 dirtdog900

dirtdog900

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 11 July 2011 - 02:58 AM

If your phone or any other device is working with the access point, then I would say the problem is with your laptop. Does your phone still work ok? Do you have anything else you can test with, another laptop etc?

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:05 AM

Is your lap top plugged in to an AC Outlet, because if its on battery it could be lessening the radio signal.

#10 dkittl20

dkittl20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:51 PM

If your phone or any other device is working with the access point, then I would say the problem is with your laptop. Does your phone still work ok? Do you have anything else you can test with, another laptop etc?

Ive have connected with 2 different phones as well as the netbook that Im having problems with. I can connect when Im right next to the wireless router. I step into the hallway and the "no network access" comes up. I bought another wireless router today. a netgear n600. Im getting 5 bars in every corner of my house. I can connect to the router from everywhere but cant get any data through...

Is your lap top plugged in to an AC Outlet, because if its on battery it could be lessening the radio signal.

I tried this today as well. same problem, when the battery is completely disconnected.

Whats the point of wireless if you can get out of the freaking room! lol. I called the cable company tonight as well.
he walked me through everything made sure all the settings were correct on my netbook. stumped him as well.

any ideas... even crazy ones! its worth a shot at this point.

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:53 PM

Then I would say the material your house is made of is causing the degrading of the signal. What was used to construct your house?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users