Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Format Card!

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 BlkRev

BlkRev

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 09 July 2011 - 05:54 PM

Good evening. :( I'm new here and came to address an issue. Btw, I posted this issue on another site because I strongly need some assistance.

I've tried:
* Formatting with SD Formatter (says memory card is "write-protected") :wacko:
* Formatting on Windows (PC) and Blackberry
* The "My Computer>Manage>Disk Management/Changing Path and Volume" method

I have a 4GB SanDisk MicroSD for a Blackberry Curve 8900, yet its capacity shows up as 1.30 TB on the computer, which is impossible. I'm pissed at myself because the card was working on Mass Storage Mode earlier (should've backed up the files), and I think yanking out the USB cable (from phone to computer) literally screwed my chances of seeing my data again. Smfh! :censored:

I seriously need help because I'm trying to do a normal/quick format successfully so I can recover all or at least most personal photos and videos that were/are on it. Something like a HDD Low-Level Format is NOT an option.

Did any of you ever had this issue? I'm quite worried. :rip:

Can anyone recommend any software (both free and commercial) and options to:
* Normally Format my card without ruining my changes of recovering data
* Recover my data after formatting?

--------------------------------------

P.S. - Please, if your answer is that I'm SOL, do not post it because I'll start feeling pissed and upset at myself. :nono: If you have any good suggestions, I beg you to post them and will thank you greatfully. :bowdown:

My last resort is going to a professional in the next 10 years when I have a nice income (yeah, I'm almost 18).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlkRev

BlkRev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2011 - 07:39 PM

BUMP

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,419 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:55 AM

<<Recover my data after formatting?>>

i don't know if any of the following work with SD cards, they are designed for hard drives, IMO.

There are lots of programs for data recovery, some which I have noted (not necessarily used):

GetDataBack - Data Recovery Software - http://runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm (this one I have, paid NTFS version)

Partition Find and Mount free partition recovery software - http://findandmount.com/

Recovery Software, Partition Table Doctor - http://www.ptdd.com/

Recovery Software, Recover My Files - http://www.recovermyfiles.com/

Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File and Disk Recovery - Free Download - http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Louis

#4 BlkRev

BlkRev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:55 PM

Thanks for the list. However, I doubt any of those will be useful unless I format my card, which I'm unable to do with the methods I've tried. I've NEVER had a format done or completed successfully. I tried formatting on SDFormatter and it said that the card was "write-protected" or maybe "read-only". Also, the computer thinks the card is 1.3TB when it's in fact 4GB large. How can I fix this?

Edited by hamluis, 14 July 2011 - 08:55 AM.
Removed unnecessary quote.

#5 BlkRev

BlkRev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:13 PM

Bummp

#6 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 14 July 2011 - 06:11 PM

Bummp

no need to bump .its not going to help any .

right click on mycomputer ,go manage ,/diskmanager ,and see if it shows there ,see if you can format it here ,it may be the the device is fugged,and will never work again

Edited by caperjac, 14 July 2011 - 06:15 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#7 BlkRev

BlkRev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:48 PM

Bummp

no need to bump .its not going to help any .

right click on mycomputer ,go manage ,/diskmanager ,and see if it shows there ,see if you can format it here ,it may be the the device is fugged,and will never work again

I already tried that and certain options such as "Change Path" were faded and unavailable.

It was the Micro SD card with same SD adapter?

The SD adapter wasn't included with the microSD card.

Edited by BlkRev, 19 July 2011 - 12:49 PM.

#8 BlkRev

BlkRev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2011 - 03:45 PM

It's been days since the last post and I still need a solution.

#9 BlkRev

BlkRev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:28 PM

Posted Image

Here's the pic of the card (if necessary). Lol, sorry for the picture quality; the camera I used took mirrored shots for some reason. Examine carefully at the 2nd card on the right. The spot where it says "4GB" got slightly scratched off. I was trying to take the card out of my phone's poorly built microSD slot, and some of the white print came off. Could this be a possible reason why the computer isn't reading it correctly? Besides this one little flaw, the rest of the card looks physically fine (both front and back). I looked at online pictures of microSDs for comparison.

#10 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 01 August 2011 - 06:13 PM

i had a card once that did same as what happening with yours ,noting i did helped ,i threw it away .
not sure what you can try to get it to format

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 01 August 2011 - 06:35 PM

How to Format a Sandisk Micro SD Card | eHow.com

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#12 Larry D. Lawrence II

Larry D. Lawrence II

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:26 PM

If you can not resolve the issue with the above step try this.

A) Open the Start Menu, then right click on Computer and click on Manage.
B) If prompted by UAC, click on Yes.
C) Click on Disk Management in the left pane, and make note of the disk # in the middle pane of the disk that you want to clean.
D) Look under the Disk # (ex: Disk 1) in the left part of the middle pane, and check to make sure it says Online. If it doesn't, then right click on Disk # and click on Online to make it so.

2. Open an elevated command prompt, Start-> All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt (right click) Run As Administrator
3. In the elevated command prompt, type diskpart and press Enter.
4. In the elevated command prompt, type list disk and press Enter.
NOTE: This will give you a list of disk numbers to select from.
5. In the elevated command prompt, type select disk # and press Enter.
NOTE: You would substitute # for the disk number listed that you want to use clean or clean all on. i.e… select disk 1
6. Type clean and press Enter.
NOTE: This will not take long to finish. Think of it being like a quick format.
7. When finished, in the elevated command prompt, type exit and press Enter. Close the elevated command prompt.
8. The disk will be left as unallocated space.
9. You will now need to create a new partition or volume on the disk to be able to use it again.
That's it,

this will completely erase the memory card and your data so use this as a last resort.

Larry D. Lawrence II
Larry D. Lawrence II
MCSE, MCP,ACMT, ACTC
Dell, HP, Toshiba, Apple, Lenovo, and IBM Certified Technician

#13 BlkRev

BlkRev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2011 - 06:35 PM

Nothing is working and I do not have a SD adapter. And I'm trying to not do low-level formatting right now Larry.

#14 Neil B.

Neil B.

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2011 - 09:15 PM

I would use a bootable disc to try a format. Acronis, Paragon, and Parted Magic come to mind. Acronis and Paragon come at a price, however, Parted Magic is free. I am not sure if these programs are compatible with SD cards, so I would do some research first.

You might try this: https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter_3/

Edited by Neil B., 15 August 2011 - 09:26 PM.

#15 CohenTheBarbarian

CohenTheBarbarian

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:56 AM

Some thoughts:

If you simply format the card, the files aren't going to just come back, you're still going to have to perform some kind of data recovery.

Cameras generally use DCF (mine do, anyway) to store data which is in reality some kind of FAT underneath, probably FAT32 or exFAT in your case.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_rule_for_Camera_File_system

I don't know how it will work on a SD card, but I think your best bet is to try and use TestDisk to restore the partition table. (Tutorial here.)

However - I would suggest if at all feasible to you to get another HDD or flash drive or something 4gb or larger and try and take a raw image of the SD card, and copy it to that first, because you may render your data irrecoverable by messing around with the original.

This tool looks promising for raw copying your SD card to a USB drive, for instance, although I have not used it. The traditional advice would be to use ddrescue but that can get a bit complicated.

If TestDisk fails to recover a partition table, the program Luis suggested, GetDataBack works extremely well, you would need the FAT version, however.

Let me know if this makes sense or you need clarification of any kind :).

Be careful - if you have a flash drive 4gb or larger, or a spare HDD you don't use of any kind, please see if you can get an image of your card before trying anything else on the card, for safety's sake.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users