Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Install Error

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Khunnie

Khunnie

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 09 July 2011 - 04:35 PM

I booted my desktop up today & it went to a black screen with this error message
Install Windows
Windows could not complete the installation. To install Windows on this computer, restart the installation.

It's a continuous loop of this error message. No matter if I click the 'ok' or 'x' out of it. I tried to boot it in safe mood but it's the same error but says 'cannot complete installation in safe mode'.
I haven't been trying to install Windows or changing it or anything. It worked fine last night. I shut down like I normally do.

Gateway GM5626 Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit
Any help is appreciated & if more info is needed I'll try to provide it. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2011 - 04:47 PM

Hi, take a look, http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH66709&key=53845&actp=LIST .

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/windows-could-not-complete-the-installation-to/bf09c3c5-298b-459f-aed5-4f431b8398f5

FWIW: Anytime there's mention of the BIOS seemingly malfunctioning...out of the blue...I would consider replacing the CMOS battery. Available in the U.S. anywhere for less than $5.

CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/articles/cmosreplace.asp

Louis

#3 Khunnie

Khunnie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2011 - 05:27 PM

Thank you for the fast reply....but I'm not really sure what that first link wants me to do. I can't go anywhere on my computer that I'm aware of. My tech skills are rather low.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 09 July 2011 - 05:29 PM

That first link is only relevant if you were installing Symantec's "Restore Anywhere".

Actually, I just looked at all those links and I doubt any are relevant to your problem. You might want to follow hamluis' suggestion and replace the cmos battery though. Can't hurt.

Edited by Allan, 09 July 2011 - 05:31 PM.

#5 Khunnie

Khunnie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2011 - 05:36 PM

That first link is only relevant if you were installing Symantec's "Restore Anywhere".

Actually, I just looked at all those links and I doubt any are relevant to your problem. You might want to follow hamluis' suggestion and replace the cmos battery though. Can't hurt.

Thanks for the reply... I see. No probably not cause I haven't been trying to install anything. ;____; I guess that means I have to take it somewhere than... I was hoping to avoid that.. Thanks again.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2011 - 05:47 PM

Well you can replace the battery yourself - it's a 5 minute job.

#7 Khunnie

Khunnie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2011 - 06:01 PM

Well you can replace the battery yourself - it's a 5 minute job.

It does look fairly simple....except when you have to enter stuff in...sounds scary.
I'm also looking towards the negative side of but what if that doesn't fix my problem?

Also this doesn't effect my hard drive right? Life files didn't get erased or something?

I looked at my battery... CR2032 panasonic... does that sound like the right name?

Edited by Khunnie, 09 July 2011 - 06:09 PM.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2011 - 05:32 AM

Yes - just replace the battery - nothing bad will happen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users