Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newer larger hard drive in Laptop - now won't boot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CTFiddler

CTFiddler

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 09 July 2011 - 01:35 PM

Acer Aspire 3680-2682 laptop
BIOS v1.3505
New Hard disk Western Digital WD3200BEVT 320GB
2GB RAM
MS Vista Home Basic

I used Norton Ghost to clone the hard drive, all three partitions. Then I checked the contents by slaving the drive on a different PC. All of the files appear to be there.

The old, still working, hard drive is Hitachi HTS541680J9SA00 80GB
The new hard drive is detected by the BIOS correctly.

The splash screen comes up and goes away repeatedly.
With Quiet Boot disabled it shows RAM, shadowed video RAM, etc.
and:
Fixed Disk 0: WDC WD3200BEVT-00A0RT0
ATAPI CD-ROM: Optiarc CD-RW CRX880A
Mouse initialized

Right after showing "Mouse initialized" the screen blanks and the computer restarts.

I have attempted booting with by removing one of the RAM modules.
I looked on the Western Digital site and found the jumper settings for this drive. There is a jumper setting for Reduced Power Spinup. Putting a jumper clip on these pins didn't help, either.
The other jumper setting is for Spread Spectrum Clocking Enabled. I don't think this is going to help.

I am beginning to think that the new drive is a non-compatible SATA 3 drive. I checked three sites to see if the drive was compatible with the Aspire 3680. Am I correct in guessing that I should buy a different drive such as a Western Digital WD2500BEVS since it has "SATA 1.5 Gb/s" in the specs?

Would updating the BIOS allow the laptop to use this drive? There is a BIOS update called 3508.zip on their site.
Thank you for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 09 July 2011 - 03:16 PM

Well...it seems likely that the boot files are not properly installed, IMO...since you never tested the bootable aspect of the cloned drive.

http://ghost.radified.com/ghost_4.htm seems to refute that possibility.

Or...the partition has not been set as active, thus cannot be detected as a boot drive.

Louis

#3 CTFiddler

CTFiddler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 10 July 2011 - 03:52 PM

Thank you Louis. You pointed me in the right direction and now it is solved.
I've used Ghost for years and have not run into this problem, until now. I downloaded gparted live CD to check out the partitions. (Takes a while on dial-up.) The Windows partition was set as a boot partition. However, the gparted FAQ spoke about if you resize a Vista partition you may not be able to boot. It pointed to another site for more information. Even though I didn't "resize" the partition I did copy the former partition to a larger partition.
All I had to do was put the Vista install DVD into the drive and boot from that. I chose country and language, then chose Repair. After a reboot the prompt to login came up. Everything looks fine.
Thank you, again.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 11 July 2011 - 01:32 PM

Glad you resolved it, happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users