Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antivirus and antispyware programs for a Mac computer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 roadclosed

roadclosed

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 09 July 2011 - 11:57 AM

I understand that Sophos antivirus can be used on a Mac but it seems that Malwarebytes and Superantispyware are not compatible with Mac .

Does anyone know what malware-finding programs can be used ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 10 July 2011 - 08:08 AM

ClamXav is free, but it finds a lot of false positives. If you were to use it I would strongly advise you to set it to just warn you, instead of moving the file to quarantine.
You can then upload the suspected file to Jotti or VirusTotal .
Preferences > "Alert on Virus Detection" "un-tic Quarantine infected files to:"

Intego virusbarrier is said to be good. I had it for a while, never found anything.
not free.

I used a free trial of MacScan, it found tracking cookies.
not free.

I tried Avast, but it didn't work properly. And wouldn't let me try newer versions because the free trial on the first version ran out. But others are having no problems. I hear there is a free version in beta.

There is iAntivirus. Free. Never used it.

I use ClamXav now.

Hope this helps.

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 10 July 2011 - 01:21 PM

The concept of "viruses", "malware", "spyware", etc. is different on the Mac, hence why you don't see Mac versions for MBAM, SUPER, etc...yet.

Mac malware is few and far between (for now), so a regular AV and some common sense is all you need. Sophos is a good choice. I'm looking forward to the final release of Avast Free, myself.

Grinler does have his own tool for removing the latest Mac rogues, as used in his removal guides: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-mac-defender

Edited by keyboardNinja, 10 July 2011 - 01:21 PM.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#4 josh_the_techie

josh_the_techie

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:36 AM

Yes...there really is no need for an antivirus program on the Mac, because there are very few viruses written for Mac OS X compared to Windows. The best thing you can do to keep your Mac safe is to practice smart browsing habits like:

1) Be very cautious when clicking on links

2) Not opening or answering spam mail

3) Not downloading files from sites that you do not trust

....and the list can go on and on. :lol:

I use a Mac, and I have not been infected yet!

#5 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 12:13 PM

Yes...there really is no need for an antivirus program on the Mac

That's not exactly what I said. You may have misunderstood me.

While their are not widespread "viruses" for the Mac like there are for Windows (yet), there is still malicious code floating around. A quick Google search for "Mac Guard", "Mac Defender", etc. will reveal what I mean. These were in the news almost every day for a while there (back in May and June, I believe), but it seems to have quieted down for now. However, that does not mean you are safe. The creators of Mac Guard are probably preparing for the next version which will likely be more widespread and harder to defeat. This is pure speculation on my part, but I believe it is inevitable.

You gave some excellent points on safe browsing habits, but if I were you, I'd still run an anti-virus just to be sure. You never know what could be lurking behind the next link...

#6 josh_the_techie

josh_the_techie

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 12:50 PM

Yes...there really is no need for an antivirus program on the Mac

That's not exactly what I said. You may have misunderstood me.

While their are not widespread "viruses" for the Mac like there are for Windows (yet), there is still malicious code floating around. A quick Google search for "Mac Guard", "Mac Defender", etc. will reveal what I mean. These were in the news almost every day for a while there (back in May and June, I believe), but it seems to have quieted down for now. However, that does not mean you are safe. The creators of Mac Guard are probably preparing for the next version which will likely be more widespread and harder to defeat. This is pure speculation on my part, but I believe it is inevitable.

You gave some excellent points on safe browsing habits, but if I were you, I'd still run an anti-virus just to be sure. You never know what could be lurking behind the next link...

Okay...yes I did misunderstand you. I do agree that the day is coming when Macs will be just as prone to viruses as PCs are, but right now, those viruses for Mac are very few and far between. I don't necessarily recommend using an AV client on a Mac, but it certainly wouldn't hurt. One can never be too careful about computer security. B)

#7 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 01:07 PM

Exactly. It isn't imperative that you run an AV on a Mac right now, but staying one step ahead of the malware writers is always a good idea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users