Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extracting Data & Files from Defective Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 EducatedGuess

EducatedGuess

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 09 July 2011 - 11:14 AM

Hi, Everyone.

I'm wondering if there is a way to retrieve data and files from an internal HD that suddenly went bad. I have an older Gateway laptop with an 40GB HD that, on startup, suddenly started giving messages saying "No Operating System Found" and then, later, "The Disk Cannot Be Read" or something similar to that.

I put the drive in a Sabrent HD Enclosure and hooked it up to a different computer, but the drive could not be read.

I have already replaced the drive, and the laptop is back up and running.

Is it possible an OS system restore would make this drive operable again, or at least temporarily operable long enough to extract the files. Most of my crucial data has been backed up, but I do have some additional files I would like to get back.

I welcome input from people who are a little more knowledgable about how to do this than me.

Thank You,
Educated Guess

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 09 July 2011 - 11:37 AM

I would try a Linux Live CD or maybe a program called Recuva to access the drive.

#3 EducatedGuess

EducatedGuess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 09 July 2011 - 12:26 PM

Thanks very much. I will look into these in a day or two.

Thanks Again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users