Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spyware.Passwords.Xgen virus keeps coming back

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 JEazy86

JEazy86

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 09 July 2011 - 05:08 AM

Since July 5th, I have been receiving alerts from AVG saying that the Spyware.Passwords.XGen virus has infected my computer. It keeps setting up its files in the C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp folder with a file name of 0.(various assortment of numbers) i.e. "0.2022596356067.exe" as well as the C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Microsoft under the name "conhost.exe". I have removed this virus at least 5 times using AVG to quarantine/delete the files and Hitman Pro to remove the proxy server it installs as 127.0.0.1:56364. I run scans immediately after removal and nothing appears. My computer appears to be clean as a whistle.
Yet the virus keeps reappearing when I visit certain sites (i.e. hotnewhiphop.com,gotta have my music!) and when it does reappear, I notice the Java icon appears on my taskbar and a process such as "0.55373964797.exe" will run on my computer. Has the virus exploited my Java somehow? Please help!

Attached are screenshots of my AVG Virus Vault and Hitman Pro scan to better illustrate the problems I am having:

Hitman Pro scan 7/5/11 (the first time I deleted this virus)
Posted Image

and my AVG Virus Vault that shows all the quarantined .exe files from this virus
Posted Image

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,701 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:36 PM

Hello, and :welcome: to the Malware Removal forum! My online alias is Blade Zephon, or Blade for short, and I will be assisting you with your malware issues!

If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know.

In the upper right hand corner of the topic you will see a button called Watch Topic. By clicking this and then choosing Immediate E-Mail notification and then clicking on Proceed you will be advised when we respond to your topic and facilitate the cleaning of your machine.

Before we begin cleaning your machine, I'd like to lay out some guidelines for us to follow while we are working together.
  • I will be assisting you with your malware issues. This may or may not resolve other problems you are having with your computer. If you are still having problems after your machine has been determined clean, I will be glad to direct you to the proper forum for assistance.
  • Even if things appear better, that does not mean we are finished. Please continue to follow my instructions until I give you the all clean. Absence of symptoms does not mean that all the malware has been removed. If a piece of the infection is left, it can regenerate and reinfect your machine.
  • Attention to detail is important! Since I cannot see or directly interact with your computer I am dependent on you to "be my eyes" and provide as much information as you can regarding the current state of your computer.
  • I ask that you please refrain from running tools other than those I suggest to you while I am cleaning up your computer. The reason for this is so I know what is going on with the machine at any time. If you act independently it will cause changes to your system that I will not be aware of, which will make the process of cleaning the machine a much slower and more difficult process. Additionally, some programs can interfere with others and hamper the recovery process.
  • Please perform all steps in the order received. If you are unsure or confused about any instructions I give you, you should ask me to clarify before doing anything. Additionally, if you run into any problems while carrying out instructions, you should STOP and reply back here explaining what happened.
  • After 5 days if a topic is not replied to we assume it has been abandoned and it is closed. If you need additional time, that is perfectly alright; you just need to let us know beforehand. :)

• Please download OTL from one of the following mirrors:
  • Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the Posted Image icon on your desktop.
  • Click the "Scan All Users" checkbox.
  • Check the boxes beside LOP Check and Purity Check.
  • Under the "Custom Scans/Fixes" section paste in the below in bold

netsvc
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe
    /md5start
    eventlog.dll
    scecli.dll
    netlogon.dll
    cngaudit.dll
    sceclt.dll
    ntelogon.dll
    logevent.dll
    iaStor.sys
    nvstor.sys
    atapi.sys
    IdeChnDr.sys
    viasraid.sys
    AGP440.sys
    vaxscsi.sys
    nvatabus.sys
    viamraid.sys
    nvata.sys
    nvgts.sys
    iastorv.sys
    ViPrt.sys
    eNetHook.dll
    ahcix86.sys
    KR10N.sys
    nvstor32.sys
    ahcix86s.sys
    nvrd32.sys
    symmpi.sys
    adp3132.sys
    mv61xx.sys
    /md5stop
    %systemroot%\*. /mp /s
    CREATERESTOREPOINT
    %systemroot%\system32\*.dll /lockedfiles
    %systemroot%\Tasks\*.job /lockedfiles
    %systemroot%\system32\drivers\*.sys /lockedfiles
    %systemroot%\System32\config\*.sav

• Push the Posted Image button.
  • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
  • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files, one at a time, and paste them into the body of your next reply.

Please download GMER from one of the following locations and save it to your desktop:
  • Main Mirror
    This version will download a randomly named file (Recommended)
  • Zipped Mirror
    This version will download a zip file you will need to extract first. If you use this mirror, please extract the zip file to your desktop.
  • Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.
  • Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security programs will not conflict with gmer's driver.
  • Double-click on the randomly named GMER file (i.e. n7gmo46c.exe) and allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.
  • Note: If you downloaded the zipped version, extract the file to its own folder such as C:\gmer and then double-click on gmer.exe.

Posted Image
  • GMER will open to the Rootkit/Malware tab and perform an automatic quick scan when first run. (do not use the computer while the scan is in progress)
  • If it gives you a warning about rootkit activity and asks if you want to run scan...click on NO, then use the following settings for a more complete scan.
  • In the right panel, you will see several boxes that have been checked. Uncheck the following ...
    • IAT/EAT
    • Drives/Partition other than Systemdrive (typically C:\)
    • Show All (don't miss this one)
  • Then click the Scan button & wait for it to finish.
  • Once done click on the [Save..] button, and in the File name area, type in "Gmer.log" or it will save as a .log file which cannot be uploaded to your post.
  • Save it where you can easily find it, such as your desktop, and copy/paste its contents in your next reply.
  • Exit GMER and re-enable all active protection when done.
-- If you encounter any problems, try unchecking the Devices box in addition to the others previously requested. Also, try running GMER in Safe Mode.
**Caution**
Rootkit scans often produce false positives. Do NOT take any action on any "<--- ROOKIT" entries

~Blade

In your next reply, please include the following:
OTL.txt
Extras.txt
Gmer.log

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#3 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,701 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:25 PM

Due to lack of feedback, this topic is now Closed

~Blade

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users