Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop wont startup

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 linked_up

linked_up

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 09 July 2011 - 12:48 AM

While using my laptop (an acer aspire 5102) I had mulitple windows open it suddenly shutdown.No logoff no shutting down screen. just click and off..
Now it wont start at all. When I push power button, power light and fan comes on for about one second, then shut off again.. Is this a hard drive crash or something else?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2011 - 06:08 AM

A hard drive wont cause that. You have more serious problems. If it's feasible, send it in for repairs.

Edited by .X., 09 July 2011 - 06:09 AM.

#3 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2011 - 11:52 AM

Hello Linked_up,

I agree with .X. I doubt that it is anything simple. CPU over heating or video problem most likely.

You might want to checkout this post: http://www.laptoprepair101.com/laptop/2006/07/05/laptop-turns-on-and-shuts-down/.

If you are technically up for it, you could always check the video connections and see if the CPU fan spins at power up. If you don't feel competent removing laptop components then seek professional help. If the laptop is still under warranty, then send it back.

regard,
Artrooks

Regards,
Brooks

#4 linked_up

linked_up
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2011 - 11:40 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll take it in somewhere.. Its 6yrs old, I dont want to invest to much money in it . thought I could just drop a hard drive in it..

#5 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2011 - 08:12 PM

Hello linked_up,

Before bringing it in for repairs, you may want to do some troubleshooting first! Sometimes a failing battery will cause these problems.

Try first to remove the battery from the laptop. Then plug in the chord, and with the battery out of the laptop try to boot.

Can you boot this way?

bloopie

#6 josh_the_techie

josh_the_techie

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:07 AM

It looks as if there is something wrong with the motherboard. I would try what bloopie reborn suggested. Try booting the computer using AC only. I would also check video connections and reseating the RAM. If these don't work, then I would suggest seeking professional help.

#7 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:13 AM

A hard drive wont cause that. You have more serious problems. If it's feasible, send it in for repairs.

You know I just had a situation where the hard drive caused the computer to turn off! I'm fixing my brother's PC and I tried the old freezer trick on his hard drive to see if I could recover some files he wanted. I plugged his drive into my computer after taking it out of the freezer and the computer came on for a second or 2 and then the fans stopped spinning and stuff...it turned off. It came back on a few seconds later by itself. So indeed in some rare cases it seems it's a possibility.

I seriously doubt that's your problem though. Just some food for thought.

Edited by .X., 11 July 2011 - 10:14 AM.

#8 linked_up

linked_up
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:34 PM

I tried what bloopie and josh suggusted with no luck.. any other ideas? ANYONE?? Where is the motherboard located? do I have to remove the keypad to get at it?

#9 josh_the_techie

josh_the_techie

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:44 PM

I tried what bloopie and josh suggusted with no luck.. any other ideas? ANYONE?? Where is the motherboard located? do I have to remove the keypad to get at it?

The motherboard in a laptop is not easily accessible...as you usually have to take apart the entire computer. When you plug in the AC adapter to the computer, is there some sort of light that comes on to indicate that the battery is charging?

#10 linked_up

linked_up
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2011 - 06:47 AM

I tried again removing the ram and the battery at the same time . last time I did them seprately, leaving the battery in after putting the ram back. using only the ac cord this time it started up and is running fine...I just order a new batt. Thanks for all the help! No need for any further replys to this post.. I'll leave the post up, just might help someone else with this problem.. Thanks again.

#11 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2011 - 07:16 PM

Glad to hear! :thumbsup:

As I mentioned, a failing battery can cause these types of problems. Leaving the battery completely out of the laptop and just using the AC power chord to power the machine can help to troubleshoot.

I'm glad you didn't bring the laptop in for repairs ($$) just yet...this is the reason why we are here!

good work! :thumbup2:

bloopie

Edited by bloopie reborn, 14 July 2011 - 07:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users