Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recurring temperature-related lockups

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SeeTea

SeeTea

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:32 PM

This issue has been bothering me for the three years I've had this computer, and now that I'm freelancing it's become a significant hinderance rather than simply an annoyance. Let me explain in detail.

The Issue:
During the summer, which is to say, when the ambient temperature is hot, my computer freezes up randomly. This -only- happens in the summers, when it's around 80 degrees or hotter in the house. During winter, it runs completely fine, without a hitch. This... cycle... been going on for nearly three years now, the entire time I've had the computer. Considering how often I have to hard-reboot it from lockups during the summer, it runs great at all other times.

Symptoms
The lockup happens sometimes instantaneously, sometimes with a bit of a stutter first, but there's never any real on-screen indication except that my mouse won't move anymore. Games simply halt on the spot - no visual artifacting or anything like that. If any sound was playing while it locked up, it either crackles into nothingness or repeats in the way that locked up computers tend to do. The HDD light on my case either goes completely solid and stays solid, or simply turns off and stays off. Fans continue to spin, however. There's no noticable change in the noises it makes.

Upon being rebooted, the computer runs fine again, as if nothing happened in the first place.

When?
While it is much more likely to occur when the system is under load, I've experienced the lockup when I was doing nothing but leaving the computer idle, with only background programs running. The only real trend is that it only happens when it is hot in the house (ie, summertime.) - 80 degrees or higher, generally.

Actions I've taken:
This has been going on for three years now with no apparent degradation in how my computer runs during normal operation. You'd think it was fine, aside from the locking-up part.

Swapped out video card. No change. Still locks up.
Swapped out hard drive / windows install. No change. Still locks up.
Done a full RAM integrity test. No apparent issues.
I tried swapping out the RAM, but apparently I just don't have the right stuff on hand - everything I tried caused it to fail to boot.
Done a full HDD integrity test. No apparent issues there, either.

The case has, currently, two intake fans, and a third-party, midrange CPU heat sink/fan. I vacuum it out regularly, very little dust.

Typical heat levels during standard use, taken from Speedfan (With the exception of the MCP, which I grabbed off my BIOS during boot)
GPU: 55c
CPU: 37c
HDD: 36c
Core0: 52c
Core1: 55c
Core2: 51c
MCP: 78c

Computer Specs:
Mobo: EVGA 780i SLI FTW
CPU: Intel Q9300 Core 2 Quad 2.5ghz
GPU: Nvidia Geforce 9800 GTX+
RAM: 4GB

I don't overclock my computer at all - everything is running factory specs.

So... yup :\ I'm completely confounded. Is it at all possible this is a motherboard issue?

Edited by SeeTea, 08 July 2011 - 11:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 09 July 2011 - 12:12 AM

Your CPU is running a bit hot there, if under typical load your running 55 degrees C. Under max load, it will likely get well over 60, which is what is likely whats causing your system to freeze-either that or its a PSU overheating. What PSU are you running? and have you considered an aftermarket cooler for the CPU?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 SeeTea

SeeTea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2011 - 12:16 AM

Your CPU is running a bit hot there, if under typical load your running 55 degrees C. Under max load, it will likely get well over 60, which is what is likely whats causing your system to freeze-either that or its a PSU overheating. What PSU are you running? and have you considered an aftermarket cooler for the CPU?

You're talking about core1? The CPU itself was supposedly running at 37. I do have an aftermarket cooler on it, though.

As far as PSU overheating, is there a way to tell? I'm running one of these. http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=RP-500-PCAR&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=16830550048946379736&sa=X&ei=2OQXTsfMDoTYiAKn6IDSBQ&ved=0CBUQ8wIwAA

Edited by SeeTea, 09 July 2011 - 12:20 AM.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 09 July 2011 - 12:38 AM

your cores 1-3 are all CPU, that first one reading so low is a bit odd. Your psu, while a decent brand, is a bit on the low end for that setup-which would be my best guess as to what your problem would be. I would recomend a minimum 550-600 watt PSU, or at least a 500 watt with a higher amperage on the +12v rails and higher efficiency rating at least. Its good quality, which is why its lasted this long-but your likely overstressing it, which causes it to run hotter, and in the summer it will run to hot and cause a freezeup.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 SeeTea

SeeTea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2011 - 12:58 AM

your cores 1-3 are all CPU, that first one reading so low is a bit odd. Your psu, while a decent brand, is a bit on the low end for that setup-which would be my best guess as to what your problem would be. I would recomend a minimum 550-600 watt PSU, or at least a 500 watt with a higher amperage on the +12v rails and higher efficiency rating at least. Its good quality, which is why its lasted this long-but your likely overstressing it, which causes it to run hotter, and in the summer it will run to hot and cause a freezeup.

Questions;

1. If it is the power supply, would it still cause locking up even if I'm mostly idling? It's rare, but that does happen.
2. Is there a way to tell for sure whether it's the PSU? Monitoring the voltage or something?
3. Do you think it's worth looking for better CPU cooling given the readings?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users