Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building a Computer (Right Now)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 1QWK96GT

1QWK96GT

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:59 PM

Hello everyone. Decided to build a computer so after going out and buying all the components I came home and am in the process of putting it all together. I have swapped many computer parts between computers but this is my first scratch build. Anyway I wanna make sure I install everything right so I get optimal performance out of my setup. Here are the specs on my build:

Windows 7 Ultimate
Intel i7 2600k unlocked processor
Asus P8 Z68-V Pro Motherboard
Antec EA-650 Green 650Watt PSU
Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse
Diablotek EVO ATX Midtower Case
LG 22x DVD writer (Sata)
Liteon DVD writer (Sata)
Corsair 8GB Ram
WD 1TB (Sata) Hard drive

Anyway I am in the process of putting all this together and I am having some difficulties. On with the pictures:
The general Picture of everything
Posted Image
I dont know where on the Motherboard this goes it came with the motherboard
Posted Image
I have no idea where this plugs in at on the motherboard
Posted Image
Does it matter what ports I plug the USB's into?
Posted Image
There are two switches on the Motherboard one labeled TPU and the other EPU what are they and should I enable them?
Posted Image
Does it matter where I plug my Sata connections in here? Is there a primary secondary..etc?
Posted Image
Well I plugged everything I saw labeled from the case to this labeled block that plugs to the motherboard the only thing I cant find is the PLED i think it is this green and white wire left over but it has a connector on it that is not going to plug into this block.
Posted Image
I think this is the PLED
Posted Image
One last question all the cooling fans in my case have big connectors on them and seem to only want to plug into my PSU which I guess they would run full speed all the time my motherboard has places to plug in fans but not these kind of connectors on my fans.
Thanks in advance.

Edited by 1QWK96GT, 08 July 2011 - 11:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 09 July 2011 - 12:29 AM

I dont know where on the Motherboard this goes it came with the motherboard
that looks like a USB extension, you plug it into the USB slot on the board to make it easier to plug into

I have no idea where this plugs in at on the motherboard
Thats your front sound ports plug, the plug in for that on most ASUS motherboards is normally located above the top PCI express lane, but not always. Refer to your user manual, but theres usually only one plug it will work on.

Does it matter what ports I plug the USB's into?
No, though for ease of use I start with the top and work to the bottom.

There are two switches on the Motherboard one labeled TPU and the other EPU what are they and should I enable them?
TBU stands for turbo processing unit, its basically another smaller CPU on your motherboard to boost performance, you can play with it on or off to see how you like it. EPU is a energy saving processing, uses less power. I believe you can run with both off, or either one on, but not both on at the same time, though Im not 100% certain on this. Refer to the owners manual.

Does it matter where I plug my Sata connections in here? Is there a primary secondary..etc?
They are labed 1-however many you have, and they are all plug in play. I usually start my optical drives first, (I have 2 opticals, so SATA ports 1 and 2 are optical) and hard discs below them.

Well I plugged everything I saw labeled from the case to this labeled block that plugs to the motherboard the only thing I cant find is the PLED i think it is this green and white wire left over but it has a connector on it that is not going to plug into this block.
PLED stands for Power LED, it is the LED that signifies whether the computer is on or not. Ive seen some where the adaptors are different, you may have to customize a bit but usually, if it doesnt fit its not right. The Power LED is always located on the front panel of the case, has two wires, positive and negative, they need to connect to the positive and negative connecors of your adaptor respectably.

I think this is the PLED
hard to tell without seeing where the other end leads.

One last question all the cooling fans in my case have big connectors on them and seem to only want to plug into my PSU which I guess they would run full speed all the time my motherboard has places to plug in fans but not these kind of connectors on my fans.
Thanks in advance

Most computer components will only plug in one way, if you have to force it your doing it wrong. If they have the big connectors, then yes they will only plug into the CPU and will run at 100% power all the time. You can purchase adaptors for them to plug into the motherboard, but its likely just as cheap to purchase fans with the connectors alread made into them.

When in doubt, read the owners manual-it has a lot of good information in there about specific locations of connectors and how to do it-including memory placement/configuration. I dont know what size modules you have-but lets say your using 2 4 gb modules, and your board has 4 slots, its not always the first two you plug them into-usually its 1 and 3.

Edited by the_patriot11, 09 July 2011 - 12:30 AM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 09 July 2011 - 04:08 PM

When in doubt, read the owners manual

Actually, I think you should read the owners manual first. It would likely answer all of the questions anybody would have about what goes where. Guessing is generally a bad idea.

Edited by keyboardNinja, 09 July 2011 - 04:09 PM.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#4 1QWK96GT

1QWK96GT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2011 - 06:29 PM

Thanks for your help everyone. I actually did read the owners manual and it is pretty vague thats why I came here. But I will continue to read/search. Thanks

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2011 - 04:56 AM

Thats fine to. I hope I answered all the questions accordingly. The owners manual can sometimes be difficult to understand/read, but the information is generally always there-at least with major brand motherboards like ASUS.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 10 July 2011 - 04:57 AM

Gigabyte's manual are also good when i used to it to build my first computer which i found the pins for case.

Edited by killerx525, 10 July 2011 - 04:57 AM.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#7 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:30 AM

Never plug in the power/LED cables simply by matching the colors. Often the colors are not correct.
[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#8 sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2011 - 09:56 AM

Most likely all your questions ARE in the manual it's just a matter of where the manufacturer has hidden what it is that you're looking for. Through out the years the manuals have been getting much better but they really need to work on a better way of putting the information where it should actually be inside these manuals. Some are better than others but none of them are what I would call outstanding in any way shape or form. I spend 2-3 days gooing over a manual before I build so I can look over how it's grouped and what possibilities there are for expansion on the build itself. Often times I spend a day alone just on the connections for the pwer switch, reset, etc switches because thats where it become more and more vague between mfgs.

#9 Patentmonkey

Patentmonkey

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 24 September 2015 - 09:26 AM

Did you ever figure out what the green and white twisted pair with the molex connecter were for.  I have the same case and suspect it is the power led on the power button - by tracing the wire to the power switch on the front panel.  I assume it is meant to connect to the PSU directly, or daisy chain to a fan, but I'm a little nervous connecting it there.  It is odd that it did not simply have a connector for the power led pin on the motherboard.  The manual did not even mention this.  Terrible documentation.    

Can you tell me what you found out?

Edited by Patentmonkey, 24 September 2015 - 09:28 AM.

#10 bojekki

bojekki

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 10:58 PM

You can learn a lot about your motherboard here -

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8Z68V_PRO/

At the top right of the page you will see  some links to more help - Overview, Specifications, Gallery, Support.

The TPU and EPU, for example, are features you can turn on or off. TPU will boost your graphics performance, and EPU will save power when able.

#11 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 05:35 AM

Read the motherboard manual and the case manual.  If you want optimal performance, use wired mice and keyboards :bubbles: 

AC97 think you probably don't need to plug in if you plugged in the other one which is called Digital or HD something or other I forget :cowboy:

#12 pistol22cal

pistol22cal

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 30 September 2015 - 10:26 PM

PLED

Short for Power LED, the PLED is a connection on the system panel header labeled  PLED, PLED1, orPLED2 that lights the Power LED indicators on your motherboard or front of your case. In the picture to the right, the motherboard LED is labeled as PLED2, which corresponds to its connector.

In the example below of a system panel connector, the PLED is a three pin connector with the top left corner of the panel connectors positive (+) and the negative wire going to the right.

systempanel.jpg

Edited by pistol22cal, 30 September 2015 - 10:27 PM.

I Love Lamp!

#13 CodeSmasha

CodeSmasha

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 11 October 2015 - 02:57 AM

Those big connectors for the fans are called molex cables.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users