Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc100 Memory Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tweener

Tweener

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 11 January 2006 - 04:55 PM

I have 2x128MB 168 pin PC100 SDRAM unbuffered DIMM installed in my computer and the system manufacturer specifies that this is the maximum amount possible. However, I have seen compatible memory of 256MB and 512MB modules. What exactly sets the maximum amount of memory that the system can utilize, and would it be possible to install 2x256 / 2x512 ?

I have a custom BIOS from eSupport (many more configuration options than the original), and the chipset is i810.
There are 10 kinds of people, those that understand binary - and those that don't.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 11 January 2006 - 06:35 PM

With that 810 chipset I believe you should be able to run 2-256mb sticks. You checked the computer company's site but did you check the motherboard company's site. When you boot before the splash screen, what is the model of the motherboard and maker is displayed?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Tweener

Tweener
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2006 - 10:04 PM

Hey acklan! :thumbsup: This is the same box I did the PowerLeap upgrade on. The Pavilion 6553 OEM board (no documentation found anywhere!) with 2 memory slots. But the original BIOS is history anyway, I have the eSupport BIOS now. The current memory is (2x) 128MB non-parity 168 pin PC100 SDRAM. I have seen 256 and 512MB modules in this same configuration, and don't understand why HP only lists a maximum RAM of 256 (the way it's configured now). I'm wondering if it's impossible or just unsupported. It wouldn't be too expensive to get it to 512MB or even 1GB total if it can be done. BTW, I know the location of the center notch on the DIMMs are for the voltage, but is the other one for parity / non-parity?
There are 10 kinds of people, those that understand binary - and those that don't.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2006 - 12:50 PM

I don't think 512mb will owrk, but I would be willing to bet 256mb would. I don't think there is a physcal indicator for parity/non-parity. At least I have never heard of one.
How did the PowerLeap adapter turn out? Do you like it? What speed did you go with?

#5 Tweener

Tweener
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2006 - 04:39 PM

Since I covered all the bases as well as posting here, it seems I've once again found the definitive answer: http://intel.com/design/chipsets/mature/index.htm Down the chart in the memory section under i810 it definitely states that 512MB total is supported, so two 256MB should work. I also believe I know why HP kept the supported maximum to 256M: http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=333688 . They probably wanted to avoid any support calls that might arise from customers being "on the edge" since the system shipped with Win98 installed.

As for the PowerLeap upgrade, I went with the 1100/128/100/1.75 Coppermine Celeron since I'd already bought the PL-NeoS370 adapter, but I also have a 1400/256/100/1.5 Tualatin Celeron waiting for enough cash to get the proper PL-Neo370/T adapter for it. I may have a family member that would buy the current processor/adapter from me then.

As far a performance goes, it's leaps and bounds above what I did have. After I upgraded the BIOS and CPU, I had to run the i810 driver installation application and re-install DirectX 9.0c to get my graphics card finally working at full capacity. A co-worker gave me a monitor capable of 1280x1024 resolution and my 3D games look just like watching an interactive cartoon. (Just finished Soul Reaver 2, awsome!)

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2006 - 06:30 PM

:thumbsup: . Glad to hear it. I love to see these older computers get a second life.

#7 Tweener

Tweener
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2006 - 07:32 PM

I found out about the notches, too. They are both positioned either center of the key or slightly off-center. The notch in the middle is positioned for 5 or 3.3 volts, and the one near the side is positioned for buffered/unbuffered so that incompatable memory cannot be inserted in the slot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users