Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen fades to black

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 07042j

07042j

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 08 July 2011 - 04:46 PM

Needed to reboot into safe mode -- which wasn't working for some reason.
Changed boot.ini to /safeboot -- and restarted.

It worked -- but now the screen fades out after about 30 seconds.

Also fades out in other f8 modes and if I try to access settings via f2.

How can I address the issue if I can't see the screen ? All thoughts appreciated -- this is driving me nuts.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:07 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer, 07042j.

When you say "fades" to black, that gives me the impression of a slow transition, is that correct or does it flick straight to black like the "light went off"?

What type of screen is it? If it's a free-standing monitor, can you try it on another computer to see if the fault lies in the screen or the computer? If this is a laptop, you can usually find out if the fault is the backlight going out, by shining a light source like a torch against the screen in a darkened room. If you can faintly see the Windows desktop, the video signal is there and the backlight isn't lighting to show it. The same trick can be used for an LCD monitor if you don't have another computer to test it on.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 07042j

07042j
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:01 PM

Thanks much for the speedy reply. I hooked up another monitor and it worked fine -- so I could at least see what I was doing.

Problem turned out to be a nasty bit of malware -- somehow knocked out both the monitor and mouse -- but didn't affect the ones I temporarily installed.

Cleaned everything out -- switched back to the original hardware -- and it's all okay now. Whew !

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 09 July 2011 - 07:13 AM

An unusual situation - glad it's sorted. To only affect the operation of one monitor makes me suspect it may have been caused by a refresh rate that the second monitor could display, but the original monitor couldn't, and responded by blanking the screen. That's about the only way off the top of my head that I can see malware affecting a monitor that way.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 07042j

07042j
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2011 - 08:03 AM

It was that "xp internet security 2012" trojan. Came up for my husband on the Wall St Jrnl site, of all places, and he fell for it. Got rid of it painlessly via "Super Anti Spyware" plus Eusing's registry cleaner. Both free -- and previously installed on the machine.

(Just in case that info helps someone else.)

Thanks again for the response. Much appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users