Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flash drive recommendation and security

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 hiprocka

hiprocka

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 08 July 2011 - 12:23 PM

Hello:

Do you have any suggestions for a flash drive? I will be using it primarily for storing documents and pix, though I may store some song files as well. I am currently using a 2G, and have pretty much maxed out the storage space through the storage of documents/pix. I was thinking 16Gs would be enough for some extra docs, more pix, and some songs (likely no more than a hundred). But if you think this is insufficient, please let me know. I would prefer something small like a flash drive because I will be transferring files between my work computer and personal computers a lot. Also, I need to know how to protect the data on the flash drive. In other words, I don't want somebody to be able to see my files if I lose my flash drive. Thanks for the tips.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 10 July 2011 - 05:05 PM

Sandisk is a good brand to go with when it comes to flash drives.. but with that said a thumb drive is a thumb drive.. 16Gb is a good amount, thats how large mine is and it works perfectly fine for my documents, pictures, programs, etc.. You can encrypt your thumb drive so noone but you can access with programs such as truecrypt, PGP, and axcrypt.

#3 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

The Magician

• Security Colleague
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 11 July 2011 - 12:57 AM

Sandisk or Toshiba are relatively safe bets.

I have been using Toshiba flash drives for a while and they are great as they are usually very cheap and fast.

Some come with passwords; others you will need to use programs like the ones MarkGS mentioned to create protection.

If you make yourself more than just a man, if you devote yourself to an ideal...you become something else entirely. A legend, Mr. Wayne, a legend!

If I have helped you please consider donating to the Neuroscience Research Institute.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 hiprocka

hiprocka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2011 - 05:46 PM

Are any of these encryption programs free?

#5 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2011 - 05:49 PM

All the ones I mentioned are free.

#6 hiprocka

hiprocka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2011 - 06:36 PM

All the ones I mentioned are free.

I've been looking on the Web about how TrueCrypt works and it doesn't appear that it works with computers on which the user has no administrative. I like how I can readily use my unprotected flash drive with any computer. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks.

#7 Blaze413

Blaze413

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2011 - 11:25 PM

I would just get a flash drive with built in encryption software they r a little more expensive but worth it I think
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233128
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139061

#8 hiprocka

hiprocka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:16 PM

I would just get a flash drive with built in encryption software they r a little more expensive but worth it I think
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233128
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139061

Do you have any idea how to use them? Also, do they work with any computer. I see buttons on the OUTSIDE, which is pretty alarming. It makes me think that the password protection is mechanical.

#9 Blaze413

Blaze413

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:34 PM

The second one listed in the details section says that no admin rights or software is needed so I believ it should work easily on any pc but no srry I don't have any experience with these drive hopefully somebody else can chip in but from what I can tell I think it works almost like those code button on some car doors like u punch in the code on the drive itself and then it unlocks it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users