Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

desktop icons

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dcboss

dcboss

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:29 AM

Does anyone have any ideas why every 3 or 4 days my desktop icons will switch from the program icons to windows generic icons? When they switch, they won't open when I double click on them because they aren't associated with the shortcut to the program anymore. If I reboot they are restored to the proper icon again. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 08 July 2011 - 05:39 PM

.Try the following.

Downlood Tweak Ui http://download.cnet.com/Tweak-UI/3000-2072_4-10002117.html Install it once complete open it up and click "Repair" left hand side then "Rebuild Icons then repair now. Should work! ;)

Edited by bicycle bill, 08 July 2011 - 05:51 PM.

#3 dcboss

dcboss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 09 July 2011 - 05:19 AM

thanks for the reply.... rebooting will "repair" the icons as well but do you have any clue what would cause the icons to regularly switch in the first place?

#4 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 09 July 2011 - 07:46 AM

Perhaps you need to increase the size of the icon cache?

Control Panel>> Folder Options>> Click "view" tab>> Scroll down to "Icon cache size">> Adjust accordingly.
[attachment=101992:Icon_cache.PNG]

Edit to Add: Just reread your OP:
>>> When they switch, they won't open when I double click on them because they aren't associated with the shortcut to the program anymore.<<<
Indicates something else, not sure what... Perhaps a corrupt icon cache?

How to rebuild icon cache

1) Show hidden files & folders in the View tab as described above.
2) In Windows Explorer navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\(USER)\Local Settings\Application Data
3) Find the IconCache.db file, and rename it as IconCache.db.old.
4) Close the window, and restart the computer.

Anything new or different prior to this problem starting?

Edited by Union_Thug, 09 July 2011 - 08:12 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users