Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adsl Modem connexion problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BASBOS

BASBOS

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:24 AM

Hello all,

I have been working with a Netgear Adsl modem and Wifi router for some time and it works fine. Since internet is a must for my work, I thought I would get a new modem router with separate Wifi router to enhance Wifi range. I chose a TP-Link TD-8810 adsl 2+ modem router (my Netgear is also an adsl 2+ device) -plus a Gigabite Wifi router, which never got connected for the reason explained below. When connected to the adsl line, which works perfectly fine with the Netgear modem, it does not even recognize the adsl line. The corresponding green light lights up on when powering up the modem but then goes dark and stays dark, whatever I do. Of course, I connected the modem to my computer with the Ethernet cable and ran the quick setup, using the same setup that works fine with the other modem and...yes you guessed right: nothing at all: the green light does even blink.
Have you guys any idea what may be going on? Maybe I should mention that my phone line is an ISDN line. Could that have anything to do with my problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 09 July 2011 - 03:22 PM

Have you registered the MAC address of the TP-Link TD-8810 adsl 2+ with your ISP? I bet the network is expecting the MAC address of the Netgear ADSL modem. When it doesn't see the Netgear ADSL modem it drops the link.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 BASBOS

BASBOS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:36 AM

I do not think this is the reason. The Netgear is not my first modem but the second or third and I never had to register any MAC address with my ISP, which has not changed in all this period of time.

#4 dirtdog900

dirtdog900

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2011 - 01:01 PM

Most ADSL router's will give you some kind of activity on the LED on the router, if it's dead all the time then it's either having trouble picking up the ADSL signal or it's possibly faulty. Is everything still cabled as previously, with filters etc.

You mention that your line is ISDN? Is this what you use for your broadband connection or do you have a different line for that? I've seen ADSL mentioned over ISDN before but I can't say I'm too familiar with that. Maybe that is your issue rather than a hardware fault after all. Can you post up the make and model of the old router that does work? I'm just wondering if this router does something different for running over an ISDN line or anything.

#5 BASBOS

BASBOS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:39 AM

Sorry for responding so late, but I was away on business trip plus holidays.
The Netgear (the one that still works) model number is DG834GB v5 . Maybe, as you said it is the ISDN line that is causing this non recognition of the adsl signal with the new TP-Link. Thanks for your help anyway.
Basbos

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users