Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Pro Sp2, Start Menu Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 stratfellow3

stratfellow3

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 11 January 2006 - 03:47 PM

Basically, my start menu gets left half completely black and clicking on it does nothing, the branching for my programs and control panel also dont branch anymore.

Furthermore if i try and click a button on right side, for example run a message comes up saying "it cant create shorcut on button i clicked on, do i want to put one on desktop?", keeping in mind i tried to left-click and open not create shortcut

I dont know what the deal is but i'll attach pics of the startmenu open and of message when i try and click onone of the visible buttons.

This has got be boggled it goes away right after a restart and usually doesnt come back very often, just periodically

Any suggestions? i run adaware, spybot, clean temps, mcafee, pestpatrol, and trojanhunter

http://community.webshots.com/

type in "stratfellow3" without quotes in member search and pics are under problem album

2nd pic is when i try and click on button that is visible, i clicked on run button

Sorry couldnt get pics to work with image adding button

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2006 - 11:18 AM

Hello stratfellow3 and welcome to BC.

Dont know if this will help or not but try running System File Checker if you can get Run to open. In the run box type sfc /scannow. You may need the XP CD to do this.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 14 January 2006 - 04:12 AM

Hi Stratfellow!

I hope Leurgy doesn't mind me butting in here :thumbsup:

Please try Leurgy's suggestion first, and if that doesn't work try this.

The following fix will mean that we will have to edit the registry. I recommend trying this more simple approach to backing up the registry, to ensure safety.

1. Click Start /Run and type in "regedit" (no quotes).

2. Next, click the File menu, Export

3. Select a location from the resulting box and give your backup registry a
name. Something like:

Regbackup 01-14-2006. <-- I just put todays date.

Please go to here and download the regedit to your desktop. Close all programs and open the regedit. You will get confirmation of completion.

This very useful regedit will reset your start menu and taskbar settings to their default state, which sould hopefully mean that your start menu will be fixed.

David

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2006 - 12:31 PM

Thanks for jumping in David. I was grasping at straws there but wanted to answer stratfellow3's post (it had been a couple of days with no reply) in the hope that someone would see it and come up with another solution. Looks like that worked. :thumbsup:

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 14 January 2006 - 04:05 PM

Anytime Leurgy. :thumbsup:
I don't know much outside of the HJT forum, so if i see something i try and pitch in! :flowers:
David

Edited by D-Trojanator, 14 January 2006 - 04:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users