Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I want to install new HDD and Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 8bobcat8

8bobcat8

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:27 AM

Hello,

I have a laptop that runs Vista and has a smallish HDD. The machine is also having running issues etc.

Anyway, I want to install a new larger HDD and Windows 7 all at the same time. In other words, start over. I am willing to lose programs and data as I have copies of photos etc on an external (remote) HDD.

Questions: Is this fairly simple to do? What would be the steps for doing this as I want no part or parts of Vista to be present when finished.

Best regards,
BobCat

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:32 AM

If you're changing the hd how could Vista still be there? Install the new hd, boot to the W7 dvd, create whatever partition(s) you like, format and install. Here are step by step instructions: http://www.buildeasypc.com/sw/windows_7/install_windows_7.htm

When you're done, be sure to download and install all appropriate drivers starting with the chipset driver. Then install a good AV. Then go to Windows Update and install all updates EXCEPT hardware & driver updates, which should never be obtained from Windows Update.

If you haven't already done so, you should run the W7 compatibility Wizard to make sure your hw is compatible (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/default.aspx)

#3 8bobcat8

8bobcat8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:50 AM

Allan,

Thanks for the reply. Just wanted to do a sanity check on the process. BTW, what level of Windows 7 gives the most "bang for the buck" for a casual user ie Photos, email, scrap booking, Internet, AV etc. I don't mind spending a little more to get a little more, what ever that may be.

Thanks,
BobCat

#4 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:55 AM

Thanks for the reply. Just wanted to do a sanity check on the process. BTW, what level of Windows 7 gives the most "bang for the buck" for a casual user ie Photos, email, scrap booking, Internet, AV etc. I don't mind spending a little more to get a little more, what ever that may be.

Windows 7 Home Premium would be fine for you. Windows 7 professional has the ability to run XP and various other networking + OS utilities and Windows 7 ultimate has everything the other two have plus support for other languages.

#5 Kevin384

Kevin384

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:59 AM

Hi,
The compatibility wizard should give you a very good idea as to what your machine is capable of - hopefully it will allow you to use the "Home Premium" version of W7, which is what I would recommend.
Just be aware that you may not be able to do it at all, however!

Good Luck,
Kevin.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:59 AM

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/compare

#7 8bobcat8

8bobcat8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2011 - 09:01 AM

Thanks again.

As usual, Bleeping Computer "rules". Gosh, I think I sound like I'm 20-something.

BobCat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users