Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB ports no longer have power

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Nexulis

Nexulis

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 08 July 2011 - 12:32 AM

This is regarding my parents' home computer, and not my own, so I apologize if the info is somewhat sparse. This is also the first time I have used these forums, so I am also sorry if my post is unhelpful or vague.

It is a refurbished IBM Thinkbox, and it is running Windows XP Home (SP3).

The problem is as follows. Recently, I became aware that it had some how been infected with malware, and I was working to fix the problem for them. I was in the final stages of verifying that the problem had been removed (which I later found out it hadn't, but that is no longer the issue) when the computer suddenly froze. I was unable to do anything, so I turned of the power.

When I turned it back on, however, the USB ports were no longer giving any power. Well, the mouse did for several seconds until the OS began to load, but otherwise there was no indication of power from any of the six ports. The PS2 ports still work, and the BIOS still shows that the ports are enabled. The virus is gone(to my knowledge).

The tower has had other mechanical failures before this, such as a fan failure which we replaced after it had caused the RAM (I believe) to basically cook. While attempting to find the source of the problem, I discovered that the work around my brother had devised was no longer where it was supposed to be.

I guess my overall question is this: Is this more likely to be a hardware, software, or user failure that caused this, and what are the suggestions to fix it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dirtdog900

dirtdog900

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 08 July 2011 - 06:25 AM

Could be a hardware or a software fault. Do you have a USB keyboard you can test with? If you do, see if you can get the keyboard responding outside of windows, for example navigating around the bios settings etc. If that works then your hardware (usb ports) must be working ok, then you could look at a potential windows/driver/software problem.

#3 Nexulis

Nexulis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 08 July 2011 - 05:31 PM

I do not have a USB keyboard, but after start up, no device that draws power from a USB connection is able to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users