Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Everything Should be Working...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 08 July 2011 - 12:05 AM

I'm at my wits end with this, so I thought I would post the problem here and see what the BC community thought.

Before getting to the problem, you need a bit of history. I'm upgrading my main PC to an AMD Bulldozer system from an old Intel LGA 775. I swapped out the motherboard and that system is running well. My mother's PC on the other hand, is a different story. She has an older Socket 939 Athlon X2 4600 that stopped powering up one day so I offered to replace her system with my older, and more powerful, Core 2 Quad mobo, CPU, and RAM. I even have an SSD so she doesn't have to wait for startup.

Here's the issue, I removed the old 939 hardware and put in the LGA 775 hardware. Everything went fine except for motherboard stand-offs. The Intel board has ten but the old AMD board has nine. I moved a stand-off so I had coverage on the outer edges and finished the installation. I then went to power on... nothing. The light on the motherboard was on, so it was getting power, but nothing happened, just like when the old 939 hardware stopped working.

I tried several approaches with this. I moved the standoffs so the one in the middle was there but the one just behind the CPU was gone, nothing happened. I checked to make sure everything was connected and it was. Next, I checked to make sure the power button was attached to the appropriate pins, it was. I tried turning the power connector around, nothing, I tried using the reset button instead, nothing, I even tried using a screwdriver to short the button, nothing. I then tried to replace the power supply with an older Antec unit I had. That unit would not work because the CPU power on the PSU is four not eight pin which is what the motherboard needs, but I thought maybe if I tried to power on, I could at least get fans going to see if the original PSU was the issue. Nothing happened. I tried rebuilding the old machine again, same issue. Now, four hours after starting this would-be upgrade, I'm at a loss at what else to try.

Old PC to be Upgraded:

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
4GB of DDR-400 RAM
Corsair 550W PSU
AMD Athlon X2 4600
HIS Radeon 5770

Old PC After Upgrade
XFX 780i motherboard
Intel Core 2 Quad 9450
8GB of DDR2-800 RAM
HIS Radeon 5770
120GB Intel SSD

3939.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 08 July 2011 - 04:26 PM

I would check the control panel pins (that's usually where I screw up) per the motherboard manual..I've run into cases where one of the pins needs to be reversed from the others to be properly attached.

Worst case...backtrack the setup on your system. Tedious, but it will eliminate concerns about the hardware you are trying to install.

You undoubtedly know this...but don't spend so much time trying to figure it out. My experience is that my frustrations do not enhance my prospects at properly assembling a system. Work on it, walk away...work on it some more.

I would also replace the old CMOS battery.

Louis

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:43 PM

Good news, I corrected the pin issue and discovered another. First, XFX didn't label them properly on the board and the manual wasn't very specific. I managed to figure out where they are supposed to go and how. Second, the Corsair power supply is broken... boo. The board powers on for a few seconds then shuts off. Thinking there was a short, I tried powering up on a box with the mobo out of the case and the same issue happened again. I tried the older Antec PSU by plugging in only the 24-pin connector and it got power and stayed on. I ordered a converter for the 4-pin CPU power connector so I could use it with the 8-pin slot, hopefully, there will be no more issues.

3939.png

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:47 PM

Now that is annoying how XFX stuffed up the pins and what a bummer on a dead Corsair power supply.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 09 July 2011 - 04:57 PM

Nice work, glad you resolved it :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users