Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Audio Device?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 D_N_M

D_N_M

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:39 PM

Greetings once again friends.
Re formated HD and clean install of OS Win XP Pro.
Dell Dimension 8300 Pentium 4
I am working on this PC for a friend.
he has no sound and no listed device but there is one it's on the MB.
he used to have sound but his children were on the PC often and downloaded a bunch of nice infections (was the reason i reformated and went with a clean install) I have went to the dell site put in the model # and downloaded the drivers for the audio but still the PC does not see it? I have been in device manager and tried to update the driver but says it cannot install no device found? So I went into BIOS to see if there was a setting in there but there is not.
could it be the on board sound has just fried? I have no speaker icon in the tray i would assume because no device was found.The speakers are fine as I tested them with My own PC. No yellow exclamation point in device manager.
So I am a bit confused. Any input is always appreciated.

D_N_M

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:07 AM

Did you install the chipset driver? Are there ANY errors in device manager?

#3 D_N_M

D_N_M
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:23 AM

I had a few errors in Device manager but after downloading drivers from Dell using my tag# and the errors went away.As for the chipset drivers I do believe I installed that as well. But not certain if that was the one I installed first? So maybe there is the problem? I think I recall reading that you have to install the chip set driver first.Any way to check which one I installed first? Or if I even have the chip set driver?

D_N_M

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2011 - 04:24 PM

Well, it's preferable to install the chipset driver first but no longer necessary (as it once was). If there are no errors in device manager you're fine.

#5 D_N_M

D_N_M
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2011 - 09:19 PM

Thanks for the replies Allan.
But I'm not fine i still have no audio it says no audio device found? I think it was multimedia device was listed as the on board audio but is no longer listed.No speaker icon in the tray no listed device no nothing?

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2011 - 04:33 AM

Sorry, you misunderstood. I meant regarding the installation of the chipset driver - if there are no errors in device manager then it didn't matter if you installed it first or not, whatever you did was fine. When you went to the Dell site, were there no audio drivers available for your system?

#7 D_N_M

D_N_M
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:36 PM

Allen

Yes there was a driver but when i tried to install it there was no device found? so it would not install.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:39 PM

Please check the bios and see if there is a setting to enable / disable the on board sound.

#9 D_N_M

D_N_M
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:47 PM

I have checked BIOS but could not find anything for Audio.
Thanks for your continued help Allan.

D_N_M

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:55 PM

Well, don't thank me too quickly - I'm about out of ideas. If there are no errors in device manager and if the audio device isn't listed and there's no setting to enable it in bios, my only other thought is the chip may be bad. You might want to try a sound card.

#11 D_N_M

D_N_M
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:37 PM

Howdy Allan
I was thinking the same thing as far as a sound card.I just don't get that "multimedia device" was recognized but now it's not? So there for i can't install any drivers? Maybe it's fried on the MB and I need to get a sound card.
Any suggestions on one that is compatible with this dinosaur? I have talked to the owner about just making it a Linux box but he is not familiar nor comfortable with that idea.
Thanks again Allan for your help.

D_N_M

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users