Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card issues in game - Blotchy & odd colors.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Wake27

Wake27

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:24 PM

Hello there,

I have a fairly dated card but have had no issues until the past week. Started the computer up at the beginning of the week and went into BC2. I've typically run the game on moderate to high settings since I got it with no issues. This time upon logging in, I noticed that certain terrain features or walls/stairs/etc were invisible even though I knew they were there and/or items vanishing and reappearing. I dropped my video to lowest settings and while the performance was fine after that, I still had the flickering and what seemed like reduced performance.

Had a crash a day later with an ATI .dll & upon restart, I discovered my video graphics were further corrupted by boxes, rainbow coloring, sky being black/blue, sights being fuzzy, etc.

I unfortunately/fortunately (depending on your experience) have a XFX Radeon HD 4670 & when reading early in the week, found thousands of horror stories of delayed response time from their support staff, return shipments that took many weeks, some replacements not working out of the box, etc etc etc. I don't have the money to replace the card temporarily or upgrade. XFX doesn't offer a advanced replacement program & insists on getting the card shipped to them first for testing before sending a new one out, unless the replacement is faulty. I do have an RMA number, but if the card gets sent in & they find no issues ... it's just going to be sent back at my cost.

I'm hoping to at the least confirm the video card is failing before I am forced to not have my PC for who knows how much time. I have seen a few threads elsewhere where someone says it is a driver issue, but there is never any conclusion to the threads I've seen, so I have no clue if it is that simple. I did update drivers recently, but couldn't confirm a correlation to updating & these issues. Might be & might not be, not sure.

I'll run whatever tests needed and reply promptly.

Specs: (Using Speccy)

O/S - XP Pro 32 Bit SP3
CPU - AMD Athlon II x4 640, Propus 45nm Tech (while looking at speccy, temp is 33C)
RAM - 4.00 GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24)
MB - Micro-Star 785G-E53
Graphics - 1024 ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series / HP 2009 Monitor (1600x900@60Hz) (Temp while writing this reads 45C)
HDD - 156GB WDC (Temp reads 40C)

Have Furmark installed and will post anything needed from that, just don't know what to do with it. I will say that I did one quick testing phase & watched the vid card temp rise to 76C before over & not sure if that is of serious concern or not.

I haven't noticed any real issues while using the PC regularly. Watching videos online don't seem to be an issue, nor are the graphics for some lesser/older games (like COD4 Modern Warfare). When I ran the testing on Furmark, it didn't seem the displays it ran in the test had any problem displaying perfectly fine. Load-in graphics to any game have no issue at all.

The multi-color picture listed below is what the game looks like on lowest settings. Water & characters in the far distance have odd corruption as well.
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/2510/funkycolors.jpg

The below box picture is somewhat what BC2 looks like when on higher settings, only boxes are all over the screen and game is completely unplayable (couldn't screenshot it so found a similar picture).
http://i51.tinypic.com/294ii2o.jpg

I appreciate any help someone can give to me here to either confirm a video card failure or eliminate it as the cause. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wake27

Wake27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:27 PM

Also, just in case needed - here is the full snapshot from Speccy:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/ZMB7lmbMD3qqB73YiDmCfoE

#3 Wake27

Wake27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2011 - 05:33 PM

bump

#4 Wake27

Wake27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2011 - 08:31 AM

Is there anyone out there with experience on cards?

#5 Wake27

Wake27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2011 - 03:26 PM

Well, not sure what else to do here. I could truly use some help/direction. I bit the bullet and arranged to purchase an interim card while the 4670 is off to xfx. When the replacement card (if it is indeed damaged) gets here, I'll give the current one to a friend who was going to buy one next week. For now, that issue is mute.

I do have an oddity now though that I would appreciate some help on. I currently have a Gigabyte HD 5670. Brand new yesterday. Installed & updated drivers, etc. Everything looked fine across the board on my games until I went to load back in later in the day. Now, upon loading into the server, everything is completely black except for the base flags, soldier names around me, mini-map & any form of spotting in-game. Once I select my layout and enter the fight, everything remains black as described above, but I can see I'm freely moving around on the mini-map.

I also froze twice and had to alt-tab out and end the game.

This is not my direct screen shot, but is exactly the issue: http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/6747/bfbc2fail.jpg

I understand beggars can't be choosers so any help is greatly appreciated, but I did try to provide every bit of information requested to, prior to posting, waited patiently & watched other vid card issues posted after get help. I've now sent the card in, but am still having some issues with a brand new card. I'm concerned that I just paid shipping on an item that will be tested & returned to me as not being faulty.

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:27 PM

It could be a driver issue-Ive had issues with my crossfire setup and BFBC2, have you tried using a older variant of the driver for it? thats how I solved my issue.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#7 Wake27

Wake27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:30 PM

It could be a driver issue-Ive had issues with my crossfire setup and BFBC2, have you tried using a older variant of the driver for it? thats how I solved my issue.

Same issue with 2 different cards? I also don't know how to get an older driver then what they have available to download on the site.

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:52 PM

google is your friend, try catalyst control center 11.1-I believe thats what solved my issue (though it was different then yours)

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#9 Wake27

Wake27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2011 - 08:12 PM

Version 2011.0524.2259.39378 is what is listed for this catalyst suite. I did a quick search for 11.1 but the first result I went to was flagged by google as a malicious site. Is there a safe link you or someone could provide?

#10 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2011 - 08:13 PM

http://www.techtree.com/India/Downloads/ATI_Catalyst_112_Software_Suite_Win_7/551-114513-654.html

try that

picard5.jpg

#11 Wake27

Wake27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2011 - 08:15 PM

Thank you, will give that a try here in a few minutes. I'm assuming I should uninstall the current suite from add/remove programs before installing the 11.1?

#12 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2011 - 08:18 PM

you will have to uninstall any current drivers first and delete them from your system-or ATIs installer will automatically install the new ones again.

picard5.jpg

#13 Wake27

Wake27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2011 - 09:04 PM

Uninstalled & installed 11.1. Verified it was a lesser version in the "about" section of the catalyst suite. This may just be coincidence, I don't know:

The same odd color - black areas were viewable, but seemed much less so. Could just be coincidence like I said, but thought I would offer it up.

I have read that using ubuntu boot, to stress test is a great way to eliminate the cpu, psu & vid card as causes in one go. Can also run memtest86+ from it. My hesitation is that the disclaimer in regards to how hard it stresses can cause damage. If there is a significant chance of that, obviously I'm not taking risk.

One thing I did not put in was my power supply, which is less than 1 1/2 years old (same as the psu, mb & memory).
PSU is: Master Cooler RS-460-PMSR-A3
http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=3713

#14 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2011 - 10:57 PM

huh, well the 5670 is rated for a minimum of a 400 watt PSU, but thats a minimum. Now I use that PSU in a lot of my builds its decent, and should in theory run it unless you have a lot of expansion cards, or stuff like that. That being said, have you simply tried lowering the graphics level?

picard5.jpg

#15 Wake27

Wake27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2011 - 11:12 PM

huh, well the 5670 is rated for a minimum of a 400 watt PSU, but thats a minimum. Now I use that PSU in a lot of my builds its decent, and should in theory run it unless you have a lot of expansion cards, or stuff like that. That being said, have you simply tried lowering the graphics level?

I sent you a message, just so ya know.

As for the psu, I got it solely after going through some people for a decent recommendation. So, yes I am aware it should be able to run it w/o problems. As for expansion cards or additional connections drawing from power ... my setup is this:

USB connection to universal card reader
USB connection mouse
USB to Kodak printer
On-Board headset connection for both mic & speakers
Keyboard
Nothing else that I can think of (well internet of course)

I have not attempted, since the resurfacing of these issues, to try and run it on high settings again. Right now, I'm at the lowest settings. In the past with the 4670 when I thought was going bad, turning it up to high meant complete corruption to the point of being unable to play in any way. So I haven't tried to up the settings since dropping them after everything came back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users