Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing A workstation From the Domain

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 valley_girl1919

valley_girl1919

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:55 PM

I am new at a lot of this at work, so am reaching out to someone who may be a little more advanced than me.

Right now at work I have a PC a user is having problems with, so I am going to replace it with a newer workstation. I want to make sure the following actions are correct for adding and removing a workstation on a domain: First, I should remove the PC that is having issues from our domain, then after connecting the new workstation I add it to the domain with the same name as the workstation with issues. We have dhcp enabled for the workstations to obtain IP addresses.

Does this seem to be the correct way to add/remove a workstation from the domain? Any info or advice I would appreciate. Is there something else I should be doing?

We use WinXP SP3 on all workstations.

Edited by valley_girl1919, 07 July 2011 - 10:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:24 PM

Good question. :)

It's a good idea to delete the old computer from Active Directory (in addition to taking the computer off the domain in its System Properties) first before adding a new computer to the domain with the same hostname. If you try to add another computer with the same hostname without deleting the old one first, the domain will likely complain about a duplicate (I forget the wording of the exact error message).
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 08 July 2011 - 12:14 AM

I think it says that the name already exists. If you are operating on a WAN, I have seen AD take a while to sync and let you add the new name cleanly, immediately..

Edited by rigel, 08 July 2011 - 12:14 AM.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users