Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ram problem - computer not working

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Biggredd

Biggredd

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:15 PM

So in hindsight I realize this whole thing is a mistake but here I am, trying to make a bad situation not a complete loss. I bought a cheap computer from someone on CL. I knew it was a piece but just wanted to have a cheap dedicated computer to use in my garage for some of my music recording equipment. I got it and it worked just fine but you could tell it was a little slow. It has a 1gb ram stick and a 256k ram. I bought another 1gb stick on E bay to up it a little. When I put it in the computer just started beeping at me and did nothing. So I went to the local computer store with the old 256 stick and made sure I got a proper 512. I popped that one in and beeps, no turn on. I put the 256 back in and to my surprise I just get beeps and no turn on. So now I have no idea where to start on getting it back to working in general. I have multiple ram sticks to get this working. Just need to trouble shoot and have no idea where to start.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dirtdog900

dirtdog900

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 08 July 2011 - 06:33 AM

Bios beeps with a change of RAM means something is not compatible somewhere. You don't mention the type and speed of your existing sticks or how you are matching up with the various other sticks you have. If you can get that info for us we might be able to help further, along with the make and model of the PC your trying to upgrade.

If you put your original RAM back into the PC in the same configuration, do you still get the beeps?

Edited by dirtdog900, 08 July 2011 - 06:34 AM.

#3 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:48 AM

You might have damaged the RAM or the RAM slot with Electro-static Discharge.

To avoid this, ground yourself simply by touching the chasis of the computer and keep a connection to it before you touch anything inside your computer.

After you are grounded, move the 1gb working RAM stick from the working slot that it is in, to the non-working slot the 256 stick was in. Does it work with just that one slot?

Be aware that some older motherboards require that at least two sticks are installed for pairing, in order to work, while others are even more picky and require all RAM slots to be filled, either with actual RAM or a blank RAM stick to "trick" or satisfy the computer.

We need to know the following:

• Post the Model of the 1gb stick that is working, that you have installed in your system.
  • What motherboard do you have?
  • Did putting the 1gb working RAM stick in the other slot work?
You must match the RAMs specs very closely or exactly for it to work.

RAM that is 1600mhz\PC128000 will not work with RAM that is 1333mhz\PC10664.

If You have the same speed (1600mhz) but one stick is 1.5volts and the other is 1.25 or 1.65, the RAM will not work, and will burnout the lower rated RAM.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#4 Biggredd

Biggredd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 10 July 2011 - 03:37 PM

Thanks for the reply. Think I may have confused myself and it only has 2 256 sticks of ram. There are only 2 slots. I took on

The 256 says p32m648hhc-75a pc2100 ddr

The new 512's I bought are pc3200 ddr. I had brought the 256 into the store and the rep gave me this.

I put both of the 256 sticks back in and it booted up just fine. then I took those out and put both of the 512s in to keep them paired. this time the computer doesn't beep at me when I turn it on but it still isn't fully turning on.

Not sure on the motherboard. Does Intel D845pt help? When I turn it on all the peripherals are getting power but it isn't booting up. Feel like I;m getting closer. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Is part of the problem that the 256's are pc2100 and the 512 is pc3200? The guy looked it up on the computer before selling it to me.

#5 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:21 AM

Is part of the problem that the 256's are pc2100 and the 512 is pc3200? The guy looked it up on the computer before selling it to me.

That is very likely.

Considering your PC2100 RAM stick work, and PC3200 is a faster RAM, the motherboard might not support those sticks.

Your motherboard supports DDR200 and DDR266 SDRAM. That means that the clock speed of your CPU is either 100 or 133mhz. Which means that your PC2100 / 8 = 262mhz, or close enough to work.

Your PC3200 / 8 = 400mhz

400mhz is above the supported RAM clock speed.

The tech who told you that PC3200 would work, was incorrect.

Bring the PC3200 sticks back, tell him your motherboard will only support ddr200 or ddr266.

That should max your PC rating for the RAM at 2100.

Also,the manual states that it can only use 2.5volt RAM

HERE is a link for your motherboard manual

Edited by s1lents0ul, 11 July 2011 - 08:21 AM.

==]--s1lents0ul-->

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users