Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help. Password recovery program.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Zenith2012

Zenith2012

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 07 July 2011 - 05:31 PM

Basically I have a drive encrypted with TrueCrypt since last week. I had the TC password written down on a sheet of paper, but now I lost that sheet of paper. I can remember 6 to 8 characters out of the 9. So are there any password recovery programs/password cracker programs that i can enter in the parts of the pass that i know are in it and it will find the rest? I'm asking to do it this way because without knowing most of the characters in the password i'm pretty sure it would be impossible to crack. I don't want to lose my stored data or have to delete a partition encrypted with TrueCrypt. Lastly no i did not make a TrueCrypt boot cd to recover your password if you forget it, as it asks you to when your making a TC container.

P.S. a few of the characters i remember might not be in the right place but i know that they're part of the password.
"Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions." -Oliver Wendell Holmes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zenith2012

Zenith2012
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 03 August 2011 - 04:18 PM

Found a solution to this problem. Had to delete the logical partition created by truecrypt. I no longer have the files stored in the original tc vault but least now i can use the space it was taking up to start a new tc vault, after i do a clean reinstall.
"Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions." -Oliver Wendell Holmes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users