Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Excel 2003 slow to open

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 seg42

seg42

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 07 July 2011 - 02:35 PM

I have excel 2003 on a few different xp pro boxes. It just started a couple of days ago where some guys in the office were trying to open a some spreadsheets that were opening fine the day before, and it's taking five minutes or more for the documents to open. This only happens with some spreadsheets and only if we try to access it over the network. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 07 July 2011 - 03:07 PM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#3 seg42

seg42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2011 - 09:06 AM

This is happening on at least four different machines of all varrying specs, except for the fact that they all have Windows XP Pro 32bit with office 2003, all recently patched. It's the only common thread between them. I can give you some specifics on the machines, but currently I cannot run any software on those machines since they are in use.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2011 - 02:54 PM

Post the specs on those machines when you can.

#5 seg42

seg42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2011 - 04:16 PM

Never mind, Microsoft just today admitted that they screwed up. The problem was with an update to the Office File Validation that messed up the settings for excel. To fix it you have to go into regedit and create a registry key to turn off OFV for the entire program. If anyone else needs to look it up you can read up on what changes to make at microsoft.com if you look up Microsoft Security Advisory (2501584).

Thanks anyway, though, guys.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2011 - 05:30 PM

Thanks for posting the solutions.

#7 PamelaM

PamelaM

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 15 July 2011 - 06:20 PM

seg42,

Depending on your network, even if everything is OK, opening files such as Word or Excel files, or even basic operations in Windows Explorer, can be slower than the same operations on your hard drive. It seems you have found the answer to your immediate problem, but I thought I would post anyway because I have found network operations are slower in many cases, and it can vary from day to day.

Again, though, this is dependent on your network setup and whether it is a network that is local in the building you work and limited to that, or whether your network involves many locations physically separated with your servers at a location other than where you may be.
Pam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users