Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

corrupt ole32.dll

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 Terri13th

Terri13th

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:42 PM

XP won't boot b/c of corrupt ole32.dll. Have tested RAM, extended overnight test, all fine. CK dsk run from recovery console found and fixed errors but still can't boot up windows and still get same error at bsod. No Safe Mode works of any type. Last known working config didn't help.
Does anyone know if I could replace only the ole32.dll file using recovery console command prompt, or should I replace entire system32 registry from original XP Home disk? Will there be a problem doing so when my Home disk has no service packs on it? Please advise--bear in mind that I only know enough to be dangerous! Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 07 July 2011 - 02:48 PM

1) What is the EXACT error message you get and when do you get it?
2) What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

#3 NuckenFutz

NuckenFutz

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 08 July 2011 - 02:32 AM

I would just redo the sys32 folder with the XP install disk. I accidently did that option when playing around with the disk and it kept everything how I had it like programs, my desktop, EVERYTHING. Also fixed a few stupid errors too. So I would just do that. It has been nearly 1/2 a year and I see nothing bad about that choice.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 08 July 2011 - 06:51 AM

DO NOT follow the advice in the above post. Please respond to my post and if necessary we can talk about a repair install at some point.

#5 Terri13th

Terri13th
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 09 July 2011 - 12:17 PM

[quote name='Allan' timestamp='1310068080' post='2324711']
1) What is the EXACT error message you get and when do you get it?
2) What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

Allan, the stop error is at BSOD, and is "C0000221 (Bad Image Checksum) The Image ole32.dll is possibly corrupt. The header checksum does not match the corrupted checksum."
The computer is unbootable w/o boot disk. It happened when doing a cut/paste to notepad, but exact details unclear as I wasn't using pc at the time. But, I've had a series of 'corrupt file' errors since a repair/install of XP that was a nightmare event. The big problem is that I only have orig. HP issued XP Home disk which came w/pc, and has no service packs. I had tried slipstreamed cd for repair, but then when I came to product code screen, wd not accpet my original product code. So, I had to do repair w/orig. disk, and loaded service pack 2+3 off created cd form microsoft site,while offline, then immmed virus scans, etc. That was in April, and have had series of issues ever since, so was hoping to repair this w/o doing that again!
Now I have tried just replacing just the ole32dll file using recovery console but that didn't help things. Ran check disk again, but nothing changed. I wd appreciate any suggestions you have.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 09 July 2011 - 12:31 PM

Reference: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic406571.html/page__p__2312362#entry2312362

Above topic originally posted in MRL, moved today to Am I Infected.

Based on above open malware topic, this topic is now closed.

If there are any questions about this, please contact me via PM.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users