Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best CMS?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 chasearoo

chasearoo

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 07 July 2011 - 12:37 PM

I am considering upgrading a website from straight HTML/CSS to include a CMS. I have research many CMS’s including Drupal, Joomla, CMSMS, concrete5, & Wordpress (not technically a CMS, I know). I am looking to incorporate a blog for announcements, etc. and an easy way for non-computer savvy people to update the site. With these requirements in mind, what is the best CMS for the job?

Your input is much appreciated.

"Yesterday was plain awful. You can say that again. Yesterday was plain awful. But that's not now, that's then."

-Annie and Daddy Warbucks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nick Beranek

Nick Beranek

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:32 AM

I'd go with WordPress. Are you familiar with PHP? There are many resources for developing custom WP themes. That may be your best bet. They also have a very good codex and it's ridiculously easy to install. Good luck!
Nick Beranek

#3 chasearoo

chasearoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2011 - 10:10 AM

Thanks. That was my original thought (Wordpress). I have used it before on another website and found it useful.

Other thoughts, anyone?

"Yesterday was plain awful. You can say that again. Yesterday was plain awful. But that's not now, that's then."

#4 soflanetworking

soflanetworking

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 04:00 PM

I would also be interested if anyone had feedback on the other CMS...

#5 fl_ky_dave

fl_ky_dave

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:05 AM

I have been using SilverStripe for a few years (silverstripe.org). What I like is for content creators, it is very easy, has a nice GUI and can be administered rather easy.

For development and extensions, it does require PHP, JQuery and the like. But you get a lot of functionality through the modules and modules developed by other forum members. Adding a module literally takes less than 60 seconds.

Take a look.

Dave

#6 chasearoo

chasearoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 07:27 PM

Thanks Dave. After taking a look at SilverStripe and it appears to be just what I was looking for! The integration with an existing HTML/CSS page is very easy.

Thanks again for your suggestions,
chasearoo

#7 fl_ky_dave

fl_ky_dave

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:26 PM

No problem. Be forewarned that the CSS pages should be in the templates folders, but there are some that are hidden, for example if you are running the forum, so when you do CSS, make sure you create over rides. You will understand what I an talking about when you get into it.

#8 Blart576

Blart576

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 03:26 PM

we use Joomla for all of our CMS builds for clients and we like it the best out of all of them. Very powerful and very easy to use.

#9 madelinekim

madelinekim

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:28 AM

Definitely is Wordpress is best CMS. It is less costly as compared to the other CMS. All the plugins are generally installed with the one click that means installation is much easier and simpler. Using wordpress you can communicate with the visitors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users