Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

connecting to profile on server

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 joggiwagga

joggiwagga

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:15 AM

I'm going to start by saying that I am not the best with servers. Never had to work with them at all before this job, so there's a lot of stuff I'm stumbling into learning or being taught by my supervisor who was self-taught.

At my library we have public access computers. Normally setting up a new machine (or repurposing an old machine) is a pretty simple process of making sure that its got the right programs on it, that its connecting to the correct domain, and that the desk top profile is displaying correctly.

For some reason this one computer that we've moved from one area to another and need to change the public profile log in to the one appropriate to the area cannot retrieve the profile, neither on the server nor locally (tried both) and creates a new temporary profile every time we try to log in on this profile. The error message suggests that "Possible causes of this error include network problems or insufficient security rights." What/where should I be looking for possible problems? The profile folder on the server is shared, its connected to the correct domain, it is in the active directory. I can also log into the admin accounts hosted on the server through the machine, just not the patron use account.

PC is running XP, server is running Windows Sever 2003 R2.

Edited by joggiwagga, 07 July 2011 - 11:18 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users