Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Installer!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Teochter

Teochter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:32 AM

Hi
The installer on my XP pro OS, just won't allow me to install anything I download. Is there a relatively simple way to repair, or reinstall, the installer on XP Pro? I'd be grateful if anyone can advise me what to do in this situation.

Best
Teochter

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:06 AM

Installer on XP Pro?

What error message do you get when you try to install something? Are you in an administrator account or a limited account?

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:11 AM

Please explain EXACTLY what is going on and what happens when you try to install something. Also, What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

#4 Teochter

Teochter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2011 - 03:59 AM

Hi .X. & Allan
Thanks for your reply to my posting; and apologies for not replying sooner. Right, Briefly, my installer will not allow me to install anything I've downloaded from the web, not even Microsoft's own stuff. I am attaching two screen shots for your information, the first, is the "Unknown Publisher" warning, and the second is what I see when I ignore the "Unknown publisher" warning, click on "Run",and try to install it anyway. Hope you can help.

Best
Teochter

Attached Files

#5 Teochter

Teochter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:24 AM

Hi everyone.
I've had no joy with trying to solve my Windows installer problem; so, in desperation, I've bought another computer!! (That's how desperate I was!) So now, my problem now is slightly different, how do I transfer all the existing data on my current Windows XP Pro O S over to my new computer: which, conveniently I hope, also has an XP Pro operating system.

Is is possible to achieve this without losing any of my existing data? I have also bought a 500Gb external hard drive, in case that's needed for the process. I have tried everything to fix the original problem of my Windws installer; but, all to no avail! So, before I threw myself in the river in frustration, I bought another computer; which, I hope, will make the process of transferring my existing data on to a new computer possible. Can I simply download everything from my existing computer to my external hard drive, then upload it to my new computer? If anyone can suggest an idiot proof way to do this, I'd appreciate it.

Best
Teochter

#6 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:34 AM

Can I simply download everything from my existing computer to my external hard drive, then upload it to my new computer?

That would be the simplest way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users