Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstall Problem

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 4rivers

4rivers

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:35 AM

Hi all, I have a Asus Notebook F3E AP232P, about 9 months ago I had a 9232 internal error problem - and this forum , suggested after a few things didn't work , that I re-install windows xp . I have to admit to being nervous about the idea . And was reluctant to bite the bullet , so I soldiered on , although missing some of my favourite applications / programs .And suffering from rollbacks when trying to reinstall applications.
Two weeks ago I got the 'Windows xp home security 2012' virus, which royally screwed everything up, sort of fixed with a trial version of Panda, but somewhere along the way I lost my internet connection , couldn't get the windows firewall back and a few other problems .

So , decided now , windows xp would have to be re-installed, after checking various forums, for how to's etc. bit the bullet and put the cd that Asus provide for reinstallation into the cd/dvd drive, after backing up most of the stuff on C drive. Followed the directions , and am at a point where the windows logo comes up and an instruction - Please wait . Well , I waited and waited ( 2 hours ) and nothing is
happening .

What is wrong and what can I do to fix it - please , in simple step by step instructions .

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:54 AM

Please wait... is right before OOBE. It tries to play a sound. I've seen corrupt WMP cause this and reboot generally solves this as a skips OOBE the next time.

Have you tried rebooting? Is this Windows XP Home or Professional? Can you try booting into safe mode?

Edited by .X., 07 July 2011 - 09:55 AM.

#3 4rivers

4rivers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:04 AM

Hi X , ummm it's xp pro, and yes , I have tried re-booting in various modes , the result being that it takes forever to load , and I am stuck with either a blank black screen , or a blank screen with a blinking cursor.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:06 AM

Can you boot up in safe mode via hitting F8 just after the BIOS Post Screen?

#5 4rivers

4rivers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:23 AM

Cryptodan,
As we speak - no , I have a blank screen with a blinking cursor.

#6 4rivers

4rivers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:30 AM

Cryptodan ,

Amend my last answer, it is now telling me that the system was not fully installed, and after I confirmed ok , it ha&s re-booted and is loading - but ooh ever so slowly . Delay your next answer please , and I will advise the next installment.

#7 4rivers

4rivers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:20 AM

Cryptodan,
From safe mode, as before it told me the system was not fully installed , after confirming ok , there was no options - it tried to re-boot in normal xp mode ,but oh so very slowly, and has now gone to a blank black screen.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:01 PM

Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<==.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include the link to this topic in your new topic and a description of your computer issues and what you have done to resolve them.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

Once you have created the new topic, please reply back here with a link to the new topic.

#9 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 07 July 2011 - 05:05 PM

WHen you booted from the ASUS cd did you delete the existing partitions?

Edit: I also found information stating that you can boot to the hidden recovery partition by pressing F9 on startup and then do a full system recovery that way.
Appears to be ASUS specific.

Edited by Eyesee, 07 July 2011 - 05:07 PM.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#10 4rivers

4rivers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2011 - 06:27 AM

Cryptodan , thanks for your reply . I will persue this option if nothing else works .

Currently, kicked the old girl (notebook) to life this morning, minus the instal cd, and went through the whole reinstall process, and currently am able to boot up in safe mode.
Asus supplied (with the notebook) a cd with the drivers on it . How do I proceed.

Eyesee. Thank you also for your reply, to answer your question. Did I delete the existing partitions - well, I thought I had , but it appears from what I see in front of me , that they are still there.
Could you give the link to the information concerning F9 and system recovery.

Pls note, I have one other handicap, apart from the obviouis one , the system I am using, to communicate with this forum, runs millenium, with a 3.5 floppy drive (no floppies) and a cd drive which is not working . So it could be difficult to download anything to it - if I am required to source other drivers . And then transfer to the notebook.

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2011 - 03:05 PM

Do you have a Flash Drive?

#12 4rivers

4rivers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2011 - 07:24 AM

Cryptodan,

Flash drive , no , but I can buy one, that is not a problem. However the desktop ( with Millenium ) doesn't have a usb port. The notebook has several .

Presuming I can get access to another computer, with usb ports , and I buy a flash drive , what are your instructions. Instructions should be monkey proof , please.

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2011 - 07:28 AM

Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<==.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include the link to this topic in your new topic and a description of your computer issues and what you have done to resolve them.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

Once you have created the new topic, please reply back here with a link to the new topic.

Cryptodan,

Flash drive , no , but I can buy one, that is not a problem. However the desktop ( with Millenium ) doesn't have a usb port. The notebook has several .

Presuming I can get access to another computer, with usb ports , and I buy a flash drive , what are your instructions. Instructions should be monkey proof , please.

follow those instructions.

#14 4rivers

4rivers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:49 AM

A Final note .

Many thanks to Cryptodan .

I was gearing up to go out and buy a flash drive ,to start to comply with Cryptodans instructions, and thought , for old times sake , would do a start up, on the notebook , it was disconnected from the power supply at the time and on battery . And for some reason which I have no knowledge and even less understanding of , I was able to boot it up to safe mode with a command line , and after that I was able to boot it up completely .
It seems somewhere along the line , I did a clean install correctly . And my notebook is like a virgin - all shiny and new . Ran ipconfig to get the internet connection back . And every thing is hunky dory. Changed the BIOS to start from Hard Disk instead of CD/DVD drive. Loaded the drivers from the asus cd.
Scanned and installed the system with Spybot, and the only thing it told me was that Windows Firewall had been disabled. Installed Kaspersky anti virus in French instead of English, by mistake - but I am damned if I know how .Done all the updates and got SP3 as well , hope that's not going to be a problem .

So far - everything is running fine . Still have to boot up with the main power disconnected and on battery , is there a reason for that ?? And then plug the power in - as the battery is only good for a couple of hours.

Edited by 4rivers, 12 July 2011 - 09:51 AM.

#15 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:55 AM

Well if you would still like a thorough check up then you can follow my instructions anyways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users