Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help With Troubleshooting

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cchall

cchall

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 11 January 2006 - 01:46 PM

I am new to forums. Last week my husband's computer had SpySheriff and I followed the instructions to get rid of it. Last night he told me he again was having "issues". He has an HP Laptop zd7260us running XP Home with SP2. We have Spy Doctor, Spy Sweeper and Norton Internet Secuirty suite. I make sure we download all updates from Windows regularly as well as do routine sweeps and scans. Here is what i have done or tried to do thus far:

I backed up everything of his on CDs from his document folder

I have tried to run Spy Sweeper several times; computer crashes

I was able to run Spy Doctor and got the following message:
Scan Results
Scan Start 1/11/2006 8:57:23 AM
Scan Stop 1/11/2006 9:44:22 AM
scanned items 123564
found items 1
found and ignored 0
tools used: General scanner, process scanner, hosts scanner LSP scanner registry scanner browser defaults favorites and zonemap scanner, active X scanner, browser activity scanner disk scanner
Infection Name
Known Bad Sites C:\Documents and Settins\Karl Hall\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\Q7U60BWD\abx_adserve{1}.htm
I removed and quarantined this file
Then I tried to do Norton Scan. Computer crashed several times.
I think that is all....I am going to go to coffee and hope when I come back one of you guys has some good help for me before I boot this computer out into the middle of the street!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 11 January 2006 - 02:40 PM

Download and try a scan with Ewido Anti-Malware v3.5
Ewido Install and Scan Instructions
The Ewido Full database installer [with all current ewido signature files] can be downloaded from here.

Then perform one or both of these online Virus scans:
[Watch the Address bar in IE. You may receive alerts that "This site might require the following ActiveX control...Click here to install...". Click on that alert and then Click Install ActiveX component]
Trend Micro Housecall Scan for Internet Explorer
Panda ActiveScan
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 cchall

cchall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2006 - 03:55 PM

Thanks for the reply. I ended up taking the computer in to Best Buy (where we bought it) because it kept shutting down over and over again. The Geek Squad guy there said it might be a heat problem because it was dirty (another lesson learned) and that they would do a diagnostic for me since we have the 3-yr plan. Could I ask for future reference--what are the must haves for security and protection? I don't want to have to go through this AGAIN. I thought by having what we did have and being diligent we would be protected; but I am begnning to see that may not be the case!

Thanks again for your help.

ch

#4 pacman123

pacman123

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2006 - 04:48 PM

Hi a good post by Grinler...........

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/1628/simple-steps-to-keep-your-computer-secure/

Hope this helps........

#5 cchall

cchall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2006 - 05:01 PM

Thank for the referral to Grinler's "Simple Steps". Question....since I have Spysweeper and Spy Doctor already do you think I still need to get Spybot and Ad-Aware?

I am so grateful for the help found here! Thanks so much.

ch

#6 pacman123

pacman123

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2006 - 05:57 PM

I have found them handy what one doesn't pick up the other might.......

regards pacman123

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2006 - 09:55 PM

Spybot and Ad-Aware are the most recommended applications for detecting spyware, so both should be installed, updated, and run on a regular basis.

You need several anti-spyware applications on your computer because there are no set definitions for what constitutes adware/spyware; since each company has different sets of criteria, one will find something another application might not search for.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users