Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backing up on safe mode in an external hd

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 sm24

sm24

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 07 July 2011 - 07:03 AM

Hi I want to know if it is ok to transfer file in an external hd without using a backup utility software.
I have a malware infection and I dragged my files to my external hd like copying a file usb (dragging) is it ok?

Is it the same as or the quality of files and functionality of backing it up that way is safe? I am confused. thanks.

Edited by hamluis, 09 July 2011 - 01:08 PM.
Merged topics.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,572 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 07 July 2011 - 07:08 AM

It's okay if the files aren't infected.

But to answer the premise of the question yes - direct copy is exactly the same as any other method of backup.

#3 sm24

sm24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2011 - 12:39 PM

thank you,sir,how do i know if one of my original files (files before the infection) is infected by the malware so that I can avoid backing them up.
because sadly my comp is infected by a malware.
thank you

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,572 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2011 - 12:42 PM

Scan the individual file with both Malware Bytes and your Anti Virus app

#5 sm24

sm24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2011 - 12:54 PM

my other comp is currently infected by a rogue malware,and my files are hidden so I used unhideexe,then I started backing up my files to an
external hard drive before cleaning the infection (because i don't have any backups before the infection)
I would like to know if,if ever I accidentally backed up one of my original files (files before the infection occurred) were infected and copied it to an external hd,then I cleaned my infected comp,if I connect my external hd(the one I used to back my files) to the cleaned comp,then run MBAM and a virus scan,will it clean my external hd without deleting my copied files that are not infected?

Thank you

#6 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:02 PM

MBAM doesnt erase hard drives, just infected files.

You can backup to your external HD, then clean your computerr, but before you re-connect the XHD, make sure you turn auto-run off so that the drive doesnt allow the virus to transfer by itself. Scan the drive with more then one malware detection software.

OR

You can post in the "Am I infected, what do I do" section. They can help you get rid of infections on your machine and hard drive. I think you should take this route. You dont want to knowingly back up infected files. Clean your computer before backing up files. You should back up files only if you plan to reformat, but you risk re-infecting the reformatted drive when you plug infected external devices back to the computer.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#7 sm24

sm24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:17 PM

backing up in safe mode and in normal mode is the same right?

#8 sm24

sm24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:02 PM

thanks,sir,is backing up in safe mode the same effect/quality/functionality in normal mode? thanks very much

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,572 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2011 - 04:30 AM

yes

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,990 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 09 July 2011 - 05:48 AM

sm24---You now have 3 topics started asking about the same problems.
Best to stick with one.
Boopme has instructed you to scan and post the scan logs.
It's been more than 2 weeks since you first got infected and I don't see any logs. Only the
Unhide results.

Suggest strongly that you do the scans and post the results in your first topic where Boopme is helping you.

Mod Edit: Merged two topics ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 09 July 2011 - 01:07 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#11 sm24

sm24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2011 - 03:57 AM

ok,I thought that it was a different topic because it is about external hdd how do I post logs from another laptop? I am using my clean laptop in posting here,and I am not yet done with backing up my files,I just started doing it yesterday,so for the mean time I asked some helpful info for me cause I'm not good at comp stuffs.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 10 July 2011 - 05:17 AM

No malware logs...should be posted in this forum or any other forum outside of your current Am I Infected topic, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic405311.html/page__st__15 . If suggested/advised, then follow all procedures as prescribed within that forum and that topic.

My understanding is that the above topic is not complete, but you have been given permission to back up, following guidance provided in your AII topic, and then you need to resume that topic.

If you understand differently, I suggest that you contact myself or your Helper on that AII topic via PM.

Louis

#13 sm24

sm24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2011 - 05:47 AM

thank you

#14 sm24

sm24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2011 - 06:00 AM

Is it fine if I save the log in a usb then transfer it to this laptop then post at the topic I created?
Or do I need to re type the logs thanks

#15 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,917 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:15 PM

Closed this as there is an AII and soon to be a MRL topic.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users