Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer won't boot, hardware issue?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kukurushi

Kukurushi

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 07 July 2011 - 06:54 AM

My, one-year-old-computer was working flawless until yesterday. after turning it on it got stuck on the "Loading windows" screen. I tried again and same thing happened over and over again. Moreover, I couldn't boot windows in any other mode (safe mode etc.) and "fix my computer" option got stuck as well.
I tried booting from the original Windows 7 X64 disc and no use. It didn't even let me reinstall windows (got stuck after the "install windows screen").
My next guess was some hardware issue but I couldn't figure what part of the system was malfunctioning...

Is there a known reason for this to happen? is there a bootable diagnostic software I can run to check my hardware?

As for my system information:
OPS: windows 7 64bit
MB: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3
processor: Intel I7 860
Memory: 4 x 2gb DDR3 Adata
HD: 2X 1T Sata3 7200 64mb C.B WD (In Raid 1)
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 250GTS Gigabyte

I got warranty for most parts so I can easily replace one part or another only I have no idea which...
Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:24 PM

Well...I would say that the hard drive is an obvious suspect...worth running the appropriate diagnostic test for the hard drive.

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

The RAID configuration is also an obvious suspect, IMO.

Louis

#3 Kukurushi

Kukurushi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:25 AM

I broke the Raid configuration and checked the HDs one by one. Using a bootable win xp from cd with UBCD and "Paratition find and mount" program I managed to salvage my old data.
Now here's the starnge part, the data on the HDs wasn't the same. One of them actually had data a couple of months old, wihtout the recent changes I've made. Assuming they should've been the same (mirrored after-all) I suppose the raid config stopped some time ago and changes I've made were written only on one of them. I tried to load the system from just one of the hard drives but it wouldn't let me.

Does it have to be a physical problem in one of them (or the MB) or could it be just be a 1-time-failure that won't happen again?
Is it possible to duplicate the 'good' HD onto the other one and rebuild the Raid configuration without loosing the data?
(I noticed there was some software from western digital that would duplicate it or something like that...)
Since I managed to identify the paratitions and mount them, I started making a backup but I'm limited to 500kb/s with the trial version of "Paratiotion find and mount", is there another freeware that could do the job faster?

Thanks!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 08 July 2011 - 01:16 PM

That program is a recovery program, designed to recover data from the hard which has otherwise become inaccessible.

There are tons of reocvery programs out there...they are not all created equal.

There is a free version of the software...from what you state, you seem to have trial version of the paid program.

Other programs you may want to try:

Recovery Software, Partition Table Doctor - http://www.ptdd.com/

Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File and Disk Recovery - Free Download - http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Easeus Data Recovery Wizard

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users