Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WinSxS... That pos folder...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Obeyance

Obeyance

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 07 July 2011 - 12:47 AM

So, a few years ago in installed windows 7. I had xp up till that point. So, on thinking like a rational person would... I knew that i didnt need an exuberant amount of space for Windows... So i made a 12.5 gig C: drive and put the other 238 gigs on a seperate partition, just because i wanted to keep things neat and organized. Well... Now that its been, the WinSxS is showing how much of a problem it is. I didnt even know of this folder till i started wondering why the hell my C:\ drive was getting smaller and smaller even though i dont install any non OS related programs on it and all my downloads go to the D:\ drive as well. So... Here i am with 50megs left on my C:\ drive, nothing to Clean Up and nothing to uninstall. The paging file was set to OS controlled so i cant even make that smaller to give some space to be able to breath... This is probably the WORST bleepup microsoft has had since they released Windows ME...

Anybody have any suggestions? I mean... You cant kill it, you cant move it, you cant make it smaller and I need room... Is the only way to fix this reinstalling windows? I dont care if its "keeping all my backup data safe"... I dont even have my windows disk anymore so its not like i can just reinstall... I would have to spend 200+ again to fix something thats not technically broken or my fault. The only things i have been reading are responces people make to all the people asking "can i delete or move this folder" and they get the "RTFM NOOB" answers... Which the answers are no, but are they not taking into consideration that people with smaller hard drives or (separate OS partitions as in my case). What do you do when your hard drive if full of OS? Ive been battling this problem for a while. A month or so ago i had around 300megs... a few months before that i had over a gig. But now im down to less than 50meg and I hit 0bytes earlier. So i have 50 or less megs left on my hard drive now... Cant watch movies or listen to music... Nothing. I would honestly be happy with having some way to direct the paging file to read from D drive, which there one there but i dont know if its actually in use or if it even matters since the OS needs some on the root drive =\ But i HEAVILY stream data and if there is no room to cache i cant do so. Is there a way i can change the temp cache to D or something? That woudl at least make me happy until the next screw up with Winsxs... I bet the next is. "Your hard drive if full, you can not start windows, Please reinstall! *blue screen of death*"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Obeyance

Obeyance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:28 AM

Twenty eight people viewed and has not a single thing to say? Or is it that in 8 hours 28 people came looking for the answer to a similar issue? I dont care if your having the same issue, post =p. This doesnt have to be proper. There probably isnt an answer to the question, i have looked everywhere.

Edited by Obeyance, 07 July 2011 - 09:29 AM.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:40 AM

First of all, that attitude isn't going to attract much help. Just an observation..

Second, the fact that you only allocated 12.5 gb to the system partition is not Windows fault, it's yours.

Third, you can change the pagefile to any size you like.

Last, the easiest solution is to download, install, and run Easeus Partition Manager and resize the partitions (http://www.partition-tool.com/)

Edited by Allan, 07 July 2011 - 09:40 AM.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 07 July 2011 - 02:38 PM

I suspect the majority of those 28 people read your post to see what your issues are hoping they could help you in some way. It doesn't matter if 1 person or 1000 people read it if they have no suggestions to give you or no knowledge of your issues.

I know it's hard to have patience when there are problems. You want an answer and you want it immediately. Unfortunately patience is called for while waiting on someone to help you.

#5 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:19 PM

Do you understand the concept behind the Winsxs folder? I hear where you are coming from when there should be a warning for it, but with that said the "average" user doesn't create separate partitions nor set it at a bear minimum such as 12Gb. What is the BSOD error code you are receiving? I may be able to help you since you can access the recovery console. But, I can't help you with the Winsxs issue, thats just the way it is. Once we get your system up and running again as you have seen there are a few repartitioning tools we can possibly use to give you more space. Just please don't try any modifications on your system such as wiping the OS yet!!!! Get us the BSOD CODE!!

#6 Obeyance

Obeyance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:29 PM

Cant, operating system died. Loads into StartUp Repair Tool or w/e its called, but as i said... It says it cant repair it, puts up the windows splash screen and restarts. Ubuntu Live 9.10 says "This computer has no operating system on it." when i get to the "Prepare disk space" (step 4 of 6) for install and wont show different partition on the disk to install on. Gives me the choice to format and delete all 250 gig or specify partitions manually. Which, thats a no as well, says 250 gig free.. But i can mount both partitions and transfer files, ect ect. The windows folder is there and it says that the drive has 137 meg on available. I can restart without the disk and it tries to load windows but fails and starts the Startup tool and does the rebooting into windows startup repair tool over and over. Suggestions? Im at a loss for any... I could Xfer allllll of the data on the drive to my external and laptop and wipe the drive but, i really want to avoid doing that honestly.

Edited by Obeyance, 07 July 2011 - 11:31 PM.

#7 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:51 AM

Cant, operating system died. Loads into StartUp Repair Tool or w/e its called, but as i said... It says it cant repair it, puts up the windows splash screen and restarts. Ubuntu Live 9.10 says "This computer has no operating system on it." when i get to the "Prepare disk space" (step 4 of 6) for install and wont show different partition on the disk to install on. Gives me the choice to format and delete all 250 gig or specify partitions manually. Which, thats a no as well, says 250 gig free.. But i can mount both partitions and transfer files, ect ect. The windows folder is there and it says that the drive has 137 meg on available. I can restart without the disk and it tries to load windows but fails and starts the Startup tool and does the rebooting into windows startup repair tool over and over. Suggestions? Im at a loss for any... I could Xfer allllll of the data on the drive to my external and laptop and wipe the drive but, i really want to avoid doing that honestly.

When it boots to start up repair let it try and repair. After it fails select the advanced menus option. Open up CMD and try these commands..

"bootrec /rebuildbcd"

"bootrec /fixmbr"

"bootrec /fixboot"

And restart if it still doesn't work run a check disk on it

"chkdsk /f"

#8 Obeyance

Obeyance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:54 AM

When it boots to start up repair let it try and repair. After it fails select the advanced menus option. Open up CMD and try these commands..

"bootrec /rebuildbcd"

Successfully scanned Windows installations.
Total identified Windows installations: 0
The operation completed successfully.

"bootrec /fixmbr"

The Operation completed successfully.

"bootrec /fixboot"

The Operation completed successfully.

"And restart if it still doesn't work run a check disk on it"

Gives the option to Laucn Startup Repair or login to windows, chose to login to windows, black screen/restart, ask me if i want to Lauch Startup Repair, chose repair. Starup Repair "Starup Repair cannon repair this computer automatically. Send info to microsoft?

"chkdsk /f"

The type of the file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.
Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected.

Next?

#9 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 08 July 2011 - 12:19 PM

It may be a moot point but for the record, the WinSxs directory is significantly smaller than what most tools report it to be due to it being largely a collection of junction points to files located elsewhere. Steven Sinofsky, president of the Windows division at Microsoft wrote in 2008 that the physical size-on-disk of an average computer's WinSxS directory will be around 400MB.

Edit to add: Google shows several people who had similar "disk is write protected" errors. In each case, the problem was intermittent and was resolved by updating the chipset drivers. If you are able to boot Windows (may take a few tries, if it all) then try updating the chipset drivers.

Edited by Andrew, 08 July 2011 - 12:25 PM.

#10 Obeyance

Obeyance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2011 - 12:39 PM

It may be a moot point but for the record, the WinSxs directory is significantly smaller than what most tools report it to be due to it being largely a collection of junction points to files located elsewhere. Steven Sinofsky, president of the Windows division at Microsoft wrote in 2008 that the physical size-on-disk of an average computer's WinSxS directory will be around 400MB.

Edit to add: Google shows several people who had similar "disk is write protected" errors. In each case, the problem was intermittent and was resolved by updating the chipset drivers. If you are able to boot Windows (may take a few tries, if it all) then try updating the chipset drivers.

Yeah, i understand Win side by side. But even though the folder is technically small, Windows still ate 12.5 gigs. My Program Files folder was maybe 700 megs and there was nothing to delete because all my personal data was either created on desktop and moved to D drive or created and stayed on D drive. This is the most bloated operating system i have come in contact with!

Yeah, i cant login to windows. It black screens and boots once it gets past bios. Its not even the start of the windows splash screen anymore, i can tell because my TV says it has no signal. So from bios, restart, ask me to repair, fails repair. I think its fubar. I just dont want to take the hours of time its giong to take to transfer all the information i want to keep on this drive, which is possible due to being able to mount, browse, move, view and modify the files on the drive from Ubuntu Live Disk.

#11 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 08 July 2011 - 12:56 PM

You could try using the NTFSfix utility in Linux. It's part of the NTFSprogs kit and doesn't come standard on Ubuntu CDs. It is installed on the SystemRescueCD LiveCD, though. NTFSfix isn't as capable as the built-in chkdsk for Windows, but it can repair certain fundamental errors and flaws in an NFTS volume.

#12 Obeyance

Obeyance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2011 - 02:03 PM

You could try using the NTFSfix utility in Linux. It's part of the NTFSprogs kit and doesn't come standard on Ubuntu CDs. It is installed on the SystemRescueCD LiveCD, though. NTFSfix isn't as capable as the built-in chkdsk for Windows, but it can repair certain fundamental errors and flaws in an NFTS volume.

Ill try and find that tool kit somewhere and see if it works. Other wise its going to be hours of transfering form HHD to External to Laptop =\ lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users