Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firewalls And Anti-virus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 felinepeachy

felinepeachy

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 11 January 2006 - 12:08 PM

I currently have Windows XP with SP2. I got rid of the %%$)^*Nortons due to many many complications and all seems well now. However, I downloaded Outpost Firewall Trial verison and AVG Free edition. They seem to work great. I purchased Spysweeper and have that installed as well. My question is, do I have enough protection or can anyone see that I need additional security? If there are any suggestions based on the features I currently have installed I would really appreciate it. I am always worried about not having enough protection. I do alot of on line banking and bill paying so I want to be sure.

Thanks a bazillion
Criminals thrive on the indulgence of society's understanding!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 11 January 2006 - 12:13 PM

I would recommend downloading the following free software:

-TweakNow Registry Cleaner
-Ad-Aware SE Personal (Lavasoft)
-Spybot Search & Destroy
-BitDefender 8 Free Edition
-Sygate Personal Firewall
-Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta 1

Do a Google search for these and you'll find them. I have a relative who recommends Ad-Aware & Spybot to be on ALL computers. He takes them apart and puts them back for a living. The other programs are good protection. You need some kind of ad-aware program on your laptop. Just having SpySweeper and AVG is Not enough.
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 11 January 2006 - 12:27 PM

With all the malware floating around on the NET, you should have at least two anti-spyware applications, in addition to your firewall and anti-virus. Two very common such applications (both of which have free versions) are Ad-AwareSE and Spybot Search and Destroy. These two need to have their definitions updated, just like your AV, and will find almost all of the more common spyware and adware around.

Do NOT run two firewalls concurrently on your computer, as this will cause conflicts.

Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 11 January 2006 - 12:33 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 11 January 2006 - 02:28 PM

It also would not hurt to include these free programs to help prevent spyware, homepage hijacking and increase your browser security.:
SpywareGuard [protects your homepage from being hijacked]: How to Use Tutorial
SpywareBlaster [blocks known malware sites by adding them to IE's restricted sites zone]: How to Use Tutorial
IE-SPYAD [blocks even more malware sites by adding hem to IE's restricted sites zone]: Install-Uninstall Tutorial
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users