Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infection maybe...i dont know

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Roland57

Roland57

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:17 PM

I really don't know what this is...I thought it was a registry problem ,but i don't know...I did a HJT and from the look of it my basic stuff is still .exe, but still if I try to open anything I get a window that says....windows can not open this file then it says file name with .lnk... I've run my av and several cleaners and they all say no viruses.... malwarebytes says no problem.....spybot says no problem. I have even run Registry mechanic with no success... I cant do system resore , it says I dont have anything earlier than July of 2011 please help.
System is
Windows xp sp2.... 3.7 ghz core 2 duo....asus p5kpl-cm... 4 gig ram... 500 gig hd

Thanks Roland

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:23 PM

Welcome aboard Posted Image

I have even run Registry mechanic with no success

Registry cleaners/optimizers are not recommended for several reasons:

• Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.
  • Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
  • Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
  • Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
  • The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".
Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

=========================================================================

Download and run exeHelper.

• Please download exeHelper from Raktor to your desktop.
  • Double-click on exeHelper.com to run the fix.
  • A black window should pop up, press any key to close once the fix is completed.
  • A log file named log.txt will be created in the directory where you ran exeHelper.com
  • Attach the log.txt file to your next message.

Note: If the window shows a message that says "Error deleting file", please re-run the program before posting a log - and post the two logs together (they will both be in the one file).

Will your programs open now?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 Roland57

Roland57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2011 - 04:12 PM

i can download the file ,but when i try to run it a window opens that says ...open with or windows can not open this file...can't seem to get it open

Edited by Roland57, 07 July 2011 - 05:20 PM.

#4 Roland57

Roland57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2011 - 04:49 PM

this is now what comes up on some of my desktop shortcuts...a notepad window will open with coding already in it ...similar to this

L  À F› ü¨Ï¢Q<Ì>…Ö¥Q<Ì ùÑçÌhü   PàOÐ ê:i¢Ø +00 /C:\ J 1 ç>2 PROGRA~1 2   ï¾V9…[ç>2 P r o g r a m F i l e s  d 1 ç>8 MALWAR~1 L   ï¾ç>2ç>8 M a l w a r e b y t e s ' A n t i - M a l w a r e  @ 2 hü ½>ki mbam.exe (   ï¾ç>5ç>7 m b a m . e x e  c    - b   àÛ‡ C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe : . . \ . . \ . . \ P r o g r a m F i l e s \ M a l w a r e b y t e s ' A n t i - M a l w a r e \ m b a m . e x e + C : \ P r o g r a m F i l e s \ M a l w a r e b y t e s ' A n t i - M a l w a r e    & w `   X bowman99 †+ s¦ýzA¼OU,àuèPÇäD¨à‰! "´ ú†+ s¦ýzA¼OU,àuèPÇäD¨à‰! "´ ú

Edited by Roland57, 07 July 2011 - 04:51 PM.

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,663 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2011 - 08:45 PM

Try .exe, .com and .lnk fixes from here: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 Roland57

Roland57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:01 PM

I have tried to do those with no luck...If I knew how I'd send in screen shots of what my files look like when I try to open most of them through my desktop and some from all programs...One of my biggest problems is when I download a file ( to fix or check something ) I can't seem to open it. I have thought of doing a restore,but that too is messed up..it shows only to the beginning of July. And when someone says just go download this file and install it ???????????????? HOW ? WHERE ? these questions too need to be answered after I can get the foolish things open... I do really appreciate all the help though, it's worth more than you realize to have this kind of help at your fingertips , even if we don't know what we're doing ....I'll be back at it Friday after work.

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,663 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:08 PM

Do you have Windows XP CD?

My Website

p4433470.gif

#8 Roland57

Roland57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2011 - 04:26 PM

Yes ..I do and it is my original clean copy...no bootleg.......I have a scary feeling you're going to tell me to strip the HD and start over, but I hope that will be a last resort

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,663 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2011 - 04:28 PM

No, not yet :)
Try repair installation: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/138-how-to-repair-windows-xp/

My Website

p4433470.gif

#10 Roland57

Roland57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:42 PM

Broni...I have to say thanks.....don't know what to say really....I THINK I am on the road to recovery....trying to sort out pulling files from old part and getting them activated in this part...trying to import favs from ie and cant seem to find them.....and it also seems that any file that the icon was messed on i am unable to find or move...sorting out the apps is no walk in the park either...it seems when something isn't quite right I find the disk and start reloading. If you can still help me that would be FANTASTIC

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,663 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:44 PM

Keep going and keep me posted. I'll be around :)

My Website

p4433470.gif

#12 Roland57

Roland57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:13 PM

did a belarc scan and it said I was missing (guessing 0 40-50 hotfixes and security updates... is there a place to get them...and cant retrieve old files (off desktop ) or import favs list off old ie account to new mozilla...please excuse me if i'm in the wrong forum now...i'm just so close

#13 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,663 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:21 PM

First of all make sure Windows firewall is on (VERY IMPORTANT!)
  • Click Start, click Run, type Firewall.cpl, and then click OK.
  • On the General tab, click On (recommended).
  • Click OK.
Secondly, download and install one of these AV programs:
- Avast! free antivirus: http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html
- Avira free antivirus: http://www.free-av.com/en/download/1/avira_antivir_personal__free_antivirus.html

Then go Start>All Programs>Windows updates

Edited by Broni, 08 July 2011 - 10:21 PM.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#14 Roland57

Roland57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:54 PM

firewall is on and was already on ...my av is in ,updated and running ( spyware doctor ), malwarebytes is up and running,apps are coming along as i find them. the start, all programs, windows update isn't doing anything.....Broni, I have been up since 4 am and have to be up again early Saturday....i will be back at it tomorrow afternoon as one of my next chores is re-loading all the gaming stuff and trying to find profiles and the files i had saved on desktop before...i think i did a big OOPS by not copying what i could to a disk or thumb drive, but i thought it would be safe ( as the instructions said files and data would be safe ).....hope to find you around on here Saturday......Thanks again

#15 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,663 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:58 PM

I'll be around....

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users