Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Applications/programs Start On Their Own

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 susjs

susjs

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 11 January 2006 - 11:40 AM

Hello - this is my first post - so, please be gentle...

On my desktop, my laptop and other folks' computers, it appears that programs have opened on their own after the computer comes out of hibernation. Sometimes it even happens after walking away from the computer for a few minutes without it going into hibernation. This morning I found two incidents of calculator running as well as MS Publisher. It's annoying and sort of scary.

I (and my friends) are running Trend Micro's Internet Security with the firewall enabled (Window's firewall is disabled). We are also running Webroot's SpySweeper. Both programs are up to date - definitions as well as the program(s). All shields are enabled. No viruses, trojans, etc. have been discovered either in realtime or in scheduled sweeps.

I am running Windows XP Professional with all updates. Others are running Windows XP Home Edition with all updates.

I've also watched my use of the mouse as I bring the computer(s) out of hibernation to make sure I am not accidentally clicking and, therefore, opening programs.

Does anyone have any ideas?

susjs

Edited by susjs, 11 January 2006 - 12:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 13 January 2006 - 11:29 AM

Are these computers connected together on a network?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 susjs

susjs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 13 January 2006 - 02:17 PM

My laptop and desktop are on a network, but my friends' computers aren't.

susjs

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 14 January 2006 - 09:17 AM

Do you see anything unusual in Add/Remove programs on these computers?

This almost sounds as though someone is accessing these machines remotely. Go to Start>Run and type in msconfig and under the Startup tab look for programs running at startup that you are not familiar with. If you see any you don't recognize post them here.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users