Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thunderbird certificates?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 06 July 2011 - 04:57 PM

I've been using thunderbird for several years now and have never had an issue like this.
Today I went to check my email and this popped up...

Add Security Exception

You are about to override how Thunderbird identifies this site.
Legitimate banks, stores, and other public sites will not ask you to do this.

Server
Location: pop.centurytel.net:(port number listed here) [Get Certificate] <- button, when pressed does nothing.

Certificate Status
This site attempts to identify itself with invalid information [view] <- another button

Wrong Site

Certificate belongs to a different site, which could indicate an identity theft.
Outdated Information

Certificate is not currently valid. It is impossible to verify whether this identity was reported as stolen or lost.

[]Permanently store this exception

[confirm security exception] [cancel]

What is this about? I can't check my email right now, well my gmail works fine, unless I do something. I don't want to confirm some security thing I don't know about. Any ideas?
It looks like the certificate for my email/internet provider expires today... You'd think they'd be on top of something like that.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:30 PM

Does it happen with every single email in your Inbox?

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:16 PM

My current understanding of the issue is, it's my provider only. The certificate in question is theirs... and expired today. You're think they would have fixed that by now.

Basically, I cannot check my messages through centurytel (centurylink) but I just sent one no problem... and I can check my gmail through thunderbird. I just can't get any centurytel messages. This happened on my computer and my wife's.
At the moment, I'm guessing I just wait til they renew their certificate or something. Kind of annoying... but, I don't really want to allow any exceptions... I don't fully understand it all but I'd rather be as safe as possible with that sort of thing.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,756 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:20 PM

Did you try to call them?

Overriding certificates wouldn't be a safest idea since sender email address can be easily faked.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#5 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:06 PM

GAH.... I am SOOOOOOO frustrated now. That lady swore she knew what I was talking about...

In short... she's telling me I HAVE to download centurylink's online security blah blah blah...
Basically... it used to be centurytel... now it's centurylink. She's going on about how, it's the same security program under a new name. I told her, I NEVER used any security program from them before... "I understand". She said that a lot. I finally said "I don't think you do".
I asked if there was anything in thunderbird I needed to change. She said no... I'm not so sure she has any clue. She just kept insisting that I HAD to download their security software.
ack... So frustrated right now.

Oh, I called and waited and waited... finally just went with their online chat support. sigh...

edit: was just looking at the FAQ for that security thingy... it's basically antivirus, etc... and, they acknowledge you can't have 2 AVs at the same time... so, would a phone company really force its customers to use their software? I doubt it... I seriously doubt that lady has ANY idea what she's talking about...
But... if for some reason, she was right...... I'll be even more ANGRY than I am now. grrrr....

Edited by millipede, 06 July 2011 - 10:14 PM.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,756 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:13 PM

She just kept insisting that I HAD to download their security software

This is surely a BS and a lie.
I'd ask for a manager.

My Website

#7 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:38 PM

I think I'll call them tomorrow and do that. I'm quite frustrated still.
I messed around... changed the pop setting to pop.centurylink.net instead of centurytel... It didn't give an error... but, it also didn't get my email. I KNOW I have emails waiting for me somewhere. ugh...

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,756 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:42 PM

I hate all ISP people, if it'll make you feel better :)

My Website

#9 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:12 AM

I called just now. This guy was more helpful... not a ton, but more helpful...
He said he wasn't aware of this issue, but he was checking into it. In short, he said for now to just accept the certificate and to call back in a couple days if I still get that message. He wasn't sure if the certificate has been updated or what. He saw reports of people saying the certificate was going to expire soon, but hadn't gotten any of it actually being expired. Odd...

Another odd thing... within this last week, I got several emails claiming to be from centurylink asking me to upgrade.... They all looked spoofed to me, and directed to other websites not theirs. So, I didn't go along with that. Coincidence?
actually, just looked again. Got two on the 28th of June... but, they were fake for sure. One email address was centuryTEL, which they wouldn't use at this point, and wasn't legit anyway... the other was something completely different, but they tried to look like centurytel.

Today, got one saying "welcome to centurylink". This one looked legit. It didn't ask me to do anything except, it mentions a few features and has a button to take a tour.(which does direct to their site)
Nothing about upgrading etc...

I'm a little uncomfortable accepting an expired certificate... but, it's the only option I see at the moment to check my email using thunderbird. The guy on the phone wasn't concerned that their servers were compromised or anything... just simply the certificate expired.
I really think they should be a bit quicker with this sort of thing. I mean... if you're a big internet company, you should be able to keep up with these things so this doesn't happen...
I tried googling a bunch of times and I found, this has happened with them in the past.
I wish I had more internet options... But it's really the only one for me at the moment. Where I live, the cable company doesn't quite make it out this far. oh well...
We'll see what happens I guess.

#10 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,756 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2011 - 07:42 PM

I'd definitely keep calling them regarding those fake emails.

I'd also suggest starting new topic in "Am I Infected?" forum to make sure your computer is clean.

My Website

#11 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:48 PM

I'm not too worried about the cleanliness of my computer. While nobody is impervious, I do a fair job of keeping my computer protected. I keep my OS and AV up to date at all times. I am careful what I click on, etc... I use avast's web site thing, and Web of Trust(they're not perfect, but they help). I use NoScript which blocks all scripts unless I allow them... and I'm careful which sites I allow. I don't allow ANY cookies except for sites that I trust and they are required. I use CCleaner frequently to clean up my junk files... and, run a scan every now and then. Over the past 8 years or so, I've only had a few infections and they've all been minor.

I think the emails are just spam and I think I get them because of my website, the hosting... the whois that is. All that info is public :( I end up getting mail offers for renewing my domain for a LOT more money than I pay every year. I don't get much spam fortunately. Was odd how I got a few in the past few weeks all claiming to be from my ISP though......
I'll keep an eye on it.
I'll give this certificate issue another day or two before I call again. I would assume they'll get it straightened out before then but, you never know.

#12 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,756 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:50 PM

Keep me posted. I'll be around :)

My Website

#13 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:25 PM

I am hesitating on calling there again because, I hate waiting and I can't stand dealing with your average customer support that has no clue what they're talking about...
BUT... I have been temporarily allowing the certificate for the past few days... wow, it's been that many days already? where did the time go?
Anyway... I was looking at it today... and, the certificate is current now... in that it expires in a little over a year from now.
However... it still says

Certificate Status
This site attempts to identify itself with invalid information [view] <- another button

Wrong Site

Certificate belongs to a different site, which could indicate an identity theft.

Now I'm wondering if maybe this error is because the certificate belongs to centurylink, but it says centurytel? Could it be something of that nature?
I'm just not in the mood to figure this out or call... I did a bunch of googling and can't find anything on this yet. You'd think other people would have the same problem...

#14 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,756 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:16 PM

Now I'm wondering if maybe this error is because the certificate belongs to centurylink, but it says centurytel?

Very possible.
I think you won't be able to solve anything without calling them again.

My Website

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users