Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A new 0x000000f error. - BSoD need help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lath

Lath

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 06 July 2011 - 04:12 PM

so I'm getting a stop error: 0x000000f4 (0x0000000000000003, 0xfffffadf38758c20, 0xfffffadf38758e88, 0xfffff800013c1fe0). I haven't been doing anything other than downloading an album here or there using Utorrent, and I always scan the zipfile before I open it. On startup it takes a long time now. It usally took 10-15 seconds. Now it takes 30-1minute or more. Also sometimes my keyboard and mouse dont turn on and I can't get to the BIOS or anything before the screen to do so goes away. Sometimes It sits on a DOS looking screen that says scanning hard drives, and does that for like 3minutes, then goes to a screen that tells me to load a cd/dvd. My hard drives are in RAID setup ( i got this computer from a friend who went to Afghanistan for 2yrs). The computer is custom built from the ground up so I have no idea what he is running. Also, sometimes it lets me get to the log-in screen or passed the log-in screen then freezes and blue screens with the same error. This error is a lot different from the other errors I have been seeing in my search for solutions. Most of those have different errors in the ( ) and deal with ram, hard drives, or CMOS batteries. Also the OS is windows xp 64 (and I'm not sure if it's a legit copy). PLEASE HELP!
Ill be checking this thread as regularly as possible from a friends computer or you can send all replies to (Removed EMail to prevent spambot attacks.)Mod Edit..

Thanks!

Edited by boopme, 06 July 2011 - 07:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dirtdog900

dirtdog900

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:17 AM

Sounds messy. I would first look at the problem with the 'scanning drives' message you are getting, along with the message asking you to load a cd/dvd. Can you repeat the exact error messages you see here? That sounds like a suspect raid controller, do you know if it's a PCI raid controller or built in to the motherboard? It's possible it's not always picking up the disks which could be the cause of all the other issues.

#3 NuckenFutz

NuckenFutz

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2011 - 05:13 AM

I would use the system restore tool and bring it back in time a little, uninstall the drivers for everything and get a program called speccy. It should list all of your devices like your mobo, GPU, CPU, cd drives, ect. But once you know all of your hardware go and get the drivers for them. Also if you have 2 anti viruses or more installed that run in realtime they can cause problems. Also you can try to remove all of your hardware from your mobo and clean it and stuff and put it back in. If all else fails try re-installing windows. Im sure it wont be hard for you to get a win xp install. But im not sure if you would want to go that far =/

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2011 - 08:36 AM

Well...a lot of words...what looks like a mess to me.

Evem though you state that a BSOD is your topic...it appears that you have problems extending beyond a mere BSOD.

RAID...CMOS warnings...possible illegit Windows install...unknown components...downloading torrents.

If it were me...I would provide some details on the CMOS problems, first...since they impact anything that might be attempted on the system.

Do you have any CDs/DVDs which relate to this system...for reinstalling Windows?

Louis

#5 Lath

Lath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2011 - 03:59 PM

Okay that's a lot to reply to...umm...where to start.
1. I did a system restore, and it didnt help anything. I can't get on long enough to un-install anything or install anything before it blue screens on me.
2. I have no idea if it's a pci raid controller etc. I dont know enough about computers to figure that out.
3. I will have to try taking the case apart to remove hardware and clean stuff.
4. I run Avast anti-virus, and run CCcleaner regularly, but dont have 2 running.
5. I don't think I had any CMOS problems, I just stated that in my research it seems that all the "f4" warning were related to a variety of things. one of them being that the CMOS battery was dead or dying.

Thank you all for the tips and help! I am currently saving up for windows 7. I want to get a legit copy of windows on my computer, and be able to use things like windows live and stuff lol. I will update you all within the next few days if cleaning the hardware helped at all.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2011 - 06:45 PM

The CMOS battery for a desktop...costs less than $5 and is available just about anywhere selling photo/electronic/watch batteries.

Any warnings/errors citing the CMOS battery...should probably be addressed before doing anything else.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users