Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem Obtaining Ip Address With Usb Adapter

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mjac14

mjac14

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 11 January 2006 - 11:32 AM

I recently installed a WRT54GS Linksys router with no problems My wireless laptop connects fine, but I'm having problems with the WUSB54GS installed on a secondary desktop. I have spent a total of about 24 hours on the phone with Linksys with no resolution. The adapter is not obtaining the correct IP address using Linksys soft ware or Windows XP. We eliminated the option of the adapter being defective. I have changed about every setting in the world to no avail. The last thing they said was that something in the operating system is causing the problem and they could go no further!!!! Sometimes the connection to the host computer is there and I can get online. If I exit explorer and try to reconnect I get "can't find server" "page cannot be displayed". There is no anti-virus software on this computer and I uninstalled AOL just in case something was running with that to interfere with the connection. I am far from being a computer expert and I hope someone can help me. This shouldn't be this difficult, should it????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 11 January 2006 - 08:20 PM

You're not the first person to pull out their hair over USB wireless adaptors from what I've read.
What operating systems are we talking about here?

What can you do? Hmmm..... throw it away and install a wireless PCI NIC? Maybe.
In the mean time you need to get anti-virus and anti-spyware protection on that laptop so you don't get infected with malware and make the problem 100 times more difficult to work with. You should have a Firewall too but leave that until everything else is operational.

Switch off the problem laptop. Connect to the internet on your other laptop and download AVG free and it's manual updates.
You can download a free anti-virus program here (US Link): AVG Free

Manual Update for AVG

Manual Update site:
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/24/lng/us/tpl/v5

Priority updates - These are virus definition updates. 2 files listed *.bin format
Recommended updates - These are program bug fixes. 2 files listed *.bin format
Optional updates - low priority presentation changes.

Then disconnect from the internet (pull out the cable at the wall) power on the problem laptop and transfer the files there so you can install the anti-virus software and run the update as follows:

How to update:
Copy the .bin file to a folder or your desktop. Start AVG Control Centre. Click Update, at the bottom of the dialog window are the buttons 'Internet' and 'Folder'. Click 'Folder', a directory tree will open asking you to point to the folder where you put the .bin file. Once you click the correct folder AVG will find it and update itself.
If you do not have the option to choose the update source because the 'do not ask this question again' box had been ticked, you can reset this in the Control Centre by clicking 'View'>'Components'>'Update Manager. In the Update Manager in the 'Properties' tab untick the 'Do not ask for the update source' box.

Reboot your computer in Safe Mode and run the anti-virus scan there.
If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here: Safe Mode

After the scan has completed delete anything AVG reports as bad, then reboot, reconnect to the internet and
download and update all of the following:Now that your laptop has reasonable security you can connect to the internet (when able) and download any required files without risk of infection with malware. Update all the anti-spyware programs as soon as you connect. Run their scans one after the other in the background.

1. Run Windows Updates and install all critical updates and any that appear to be related to USB.
2. Go to your laptop manufacturers website and look for updates drivers for your model. Install them.
3. Go to the Linksys website and look for updated drivers for the WUSB54GS.

The adapter is not obtaining the correct IP address using Linksys soft ware or Windows XP.

Can you expand on that? How do you know this? What is the correct IP address? What address does it actually get?

Edited by Rimmer, 11 January 2006 - 08:26 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 mjac14

mjac14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2006 - 11:21 PM

As I said, I was on the phone with Linksys for a total of about 24 hours. We tried all kinds of stuff (most of the time I didn't understand what I was doing). At the command prompt I typed ipconfig and the Address 169.254.237.166 comes up. Host computer is 192.168.1.1. By the way, operating systems are Windows XP and problem computer is a desktop, not a laptop.

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2006 - 07:40 AM

If a DHCP server is not reached, Windows XP uses either Automatic Private IP Addressing (APIPA) or the user configured alternate address. When APIPA is used, Windows XP TCP/IP uses an address in the APIPA IP address range (169.254.0.1 through 169.254.255.254) and the subnet mask is set to 255.255.0.0. Any IP addresses within this range are not used on the Internet.

Is DHCP enabled on the Linksys router?

When the problem occurs open a command window. Click Start>Run then type cmd and hit enter.
# To release a DHCP client lease, type ipconfig /release.
# To renew a DHCP client lease, type ipconfig /renew.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 mjac14

mjac14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2006 - 11:45 AM

Yes, DHCP is enabled on the router. I have already done the "release and renew". It didn't work.

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2006 - 11:04 PM

1. Run Windows Updates and install all critical updates and any that appear to be related to USB.
2. Go to your desktop motherboard manufacturer's website and look for updates drivers for your model. Install them.
3. Go to the Linksys website and look for updated drivers for the WUSB54GS.

Try static IP addresses for the USB adaptor and the laptop.

Disable DHCP in the router.
Click on 'Start' then 'My Network Places' then 'View Network Connections'
A window will open that shows all the network connections that Windows is aware of, under "LAN or High Speed Internet" will be your wireless network connection. Right-click on this and select 'Properties'.
A "Wireless Connection Properties" window will open, highlight "Internet Protocol(TCP/IP)" and click on the 'Properties' button. A new window will open showing the TCP/IP settings for your wireless card. If your wireless network card is set up to obtain its address from a DHCP service then "Obtain an IP address automatically" will be selected and "Obtain DNS server address automatically" will be selected as well.
To set a static IP address select "Use the following IP address" and enter a suitable IP address (e.g. 192.168.1.20), subnet mask (255.255.255.0) and default gateway address (192.168.1.1).
Apply the changes and reboot.
(set an IP address of 192.168.1.21 in the laptop)

Does that help?

#7 mjac14

mjac14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2006 - 11:01 PM

Guess what? Since this computer was never linked to the internet, it was running on XP service pack 1. All I needed to do was install service pack 2 and everything worked fine. Thanks for your help!

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2006 - 12:33 AM

I'm curious what the difference is, but glad you found the solution. Thanks for letting us know. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users