Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Try to upgrade DDR2 for Advent laptop - won't boot up

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 haplessfool67

haplessfool67

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:57 PM

My daughter has Advent 5421 with 1Gb DDR2 RAM - and it's slooow. Piriform speccy reported that I had a free memory slot, so I bought some more memory today. Incoming is 2gb of ddr2 pc2-6400. I opened the beast and could only find one slot - but I decided to install the new ram anyway (2gb gotta be better than 1gb, right?). Wrong. It wouldn't boot up.

I returned the old ram and it booted fine. I ran Crucial websites scan which told me the outgoing was PC2-5300 but that the PC2-6400 was backwardly compatible......I noted that on my laptop it says Dual channels, the kids laptop says single channel.

Is that the problem?

I put the 2gb ddr2 into my dell (and it upgraded nicely from 3gb to 4gb - i swapped out a "wonner"). So I am sure the chip works fine.

And why did speccy lie!?!??!?!!? Both laptops are running with Vista.

thanks for any advice, chums.

ste

Edited by haplessfool67, 06 July 2011 - 03:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 haplessfool67

haplessfool67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 06 July 2011 - 03:38 PM

Hi everyone

I faffed about - and found that the 1gb from my own laptop (I have 3gb) worked in the kids laptop - by my own logic that meant that the 2gb chip from my laptop should work in hers....guess what - it did

so, I have 2gb in the kids laptop - and it buzzes along quite merrily now

i'm back to 3gb and that suits me fine

and I have a spare "wonner" in the drawer

everyones happy

I suspect the issue was probably chip not locating right due to my stupid fat fingers?!?!

#3 PcTestCard

PcTestCard

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 07 July 2011 - 12:31 AM

Look like a compatibility problem.

Check the Advent web if the Bios update is needed to run the 2GB RAM.

Hope this helps!
Bill
Tech Manager
www.PcTestCard.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users