Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WIFI BOOSTING

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Joseph82177

Joseph82177

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:16 PM

A co-worker of mine has a wireless dlink N router in his furnished basement adn his son loses signal to PSP adn laptops in teh kids bedrooms 2 floors up. there is 3 network jacks in each kids room. my question is is there a signal booster they can purchase to make teh signal stronger or anythuing tehy can do to get a stronger wireless signal 2 floors awaay from router?

thank you very much for any help and input.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PaulCampbell

PaulCampbell

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 09 July 2011 - 10:06 PM

This might sound weird but..

If you cut out the top of a can (Preferably a longer can such as an energy drink, but any will work) and cut a slot in the bottom/side and take your Antenna and put it in the can to boost the signal.

I'm doing it right now.

#3 dirtdog900

dirtdog900

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 10 July 2011 - 01:57 AM

What you could do is use a pair of homeplug adapters. One in the basement and one upstairs. This would give you a 'hard wired' connection between the basement and upstairs, you can then still keep your wireless access point upstairs for the required devices but then that would have a somewhat more stable connection to the basement downstairs - all subject to how your house is wired of course!

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:19 AM

If there are wired jacks in the upstairs rooms he can install a wireless access point upstairs and use the network jack to connect it via cabling to the dlink in the basement. Did the same thing at my friends house and it works like a charm.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#5 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:21 AM

He could install a wireless access point on the upper floor. Use the network jacks to connect the AP to the dlink in the basement. I just did the same thing at a friend of mines house and it works like a charm.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#6 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:28 AM

A note for the powerlink technology...using your power outlet as a hard wire transfer for internet to another outlet.

Both outlets have to be on the same curcuit in the box. To know this, if you flip the switch for that fuse, and one outlet still has power, the powerlink adapters wont communicate.

I know someone who spent the money on the adapters and couldnt use it where they wanted. Its usually the same side of a house, same floor, or if an addition, usually that whole section.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2011 - 01:30 AM

No one asked but are the network jacks upstairs connected to the router in the basement?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users