Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Blacklists 11 Million ".co.cc" Websites From Results

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 06 July 2011 - 01:51 PM

Google has removed over 11 million .co.cc websites from its search engine results pages on the basis that most of them are far too "spammy".

The .co.cc space is not an officially authorised second-level domain like .co.uk or .com.au. Rather, it's offered independently by a Korean company (http://co.cc/) that just happens to own the domain name .co.cc.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/07/06/google_cans_11m_dot_co_dot_cc_sites/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 07 July 2011 - 12:45 AM

:hysterical:

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 08 July 2011 - 03:50 PM

Google's Decision to Ban an Entire SLD is a Paper Tiger http://blog.trendmicro.com/google%E2%80%99s-decision-to-ban-an-entire-sld-is-a-paper-tiger/

Based on our research and monitoring of malicious domains and cybercrime activity, we know for a fact that all major cybercriminals have already moved from *.co.cc to other similarly abused second-level domains like *.rr.nu or *.co.tv. This abuse of rogue second-level domains is excessive and rapidly escalating. Cybercriminals routinely jump from one SLD to another to keep their FAKEAV-via-blackhat-SEO schemes alive, among other web-based attacks

snip

We believe Google can create a real and lasting impact to protect users and help fight cybercrime by working with the top level registrars of domains like *.tv or *.cc to strategize about how they can make life for shady registrants more difficult. For instance, Google's massive visibility into the totality of search queries done globally can allow them to acquire enough evidence to influence and put pressure on registrars to pull out SLDs hosting malicious activities. This is much more effective instead of simply restricting user access to an entire block since we know cybercriminals will just choose to jump SLDs (they are already doing so). This also unjustifiably penalizes those who are actually using the said SLD for legitimate purposes.

Edited by Andrew, 08 July 2011 - 04:09 PM.
Mod Edit: Fixed Link - AA

#4 bailey2007player

bailey2007player

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:23 AM

I totally think it's unfair too, I recently got a co.cc domain for my blog and i can't see it on google at all, SOOO rude.

#5 mausin

mausin

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:28 AM

Ya its unfair my Co.cc domain which I was gained by me was on top 10 in Google SERP on keyword Ravi Patel but now it is removed by Google...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users