Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

firewall on or off?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tuckeroo

tuckeroo

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 06 July 2011 - 01:33 PM

am running XP pro service pack 3, recently installed online armor. when i go check the "security center" to see if windows firewall is off it shows "on"...when i go to turn it off by going to internet and network connections it shows off. which do i believe and if it IS on how to i turn it off?

Edited by tuckeroo, 06 July 2011 - 01:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dirtdog900

dirtdog900

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 06 July 2011 - 03:42 PM

The security centre will tell you it's on as that will detect any or most software firewalls on your pc. The firewall on the network connections is for the built-in XP firewall, which you have obviously switched off or your new software firewall has maybe disabled it to avoid conflicts. Basically, you are protected. If you have a NAT router on your internet connection then that will also most likely be protecting you as well. There are various websites you can use to test your firewall if your still concerned, the shields up utility on the grc.com website is a good one.

You can only turn off the online armor firewall as the XP firewall is already off.

Edited by dirtdog900, 06 July 2011 - 03:48 PM.

#3 tuckeroo

tuckeroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2011 - 03:47 PM

okay, thank you...i was more or less concerned because i thought you were only supposed to employ one firewall at a time

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2011 - 04:49 PM

Some firewalls...automatically disable the Windows firewall...when the software is installed, some don't.

The Windows Security does not properly detect all 3d-party security software installed.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users