Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shutter

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:13 AM

I got the info on this in an email yesterday, I never knew this program existed. I've always used separate programs for taking screenshots and editing, but this sounds like a really useful "all-in-one" program.

I'll be playing around with it for awhile to see how it works for me - I'll post back how I fare. has anyone else used it?

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/install-shutter-0-87-3-on-ubuntu-using-ppa.html

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 whoabuddy

whoabuddy

Bleepin' Verbose

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,053 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:20 AM

It reminds me of when Snag-It for Windows came out, looks like a useful tool! I will try it out as well and report back. From the link:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:shutter/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install shutter

Meditate. Elevate. Appreciate. | "Life is a journey, love is the destination, happiness is the path!"
If I am helping you and have not responded within 48 hours, please send me a PM.
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici (VVVVV)
Excellent Security Advice
Proud member of UNITE

#3 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 06 July 2011 - 05:29 PM

it will be interesting to hear from both of you. pictures make for great tutorials. that would be my purpose for using it.

#4 whoabuddy

whoabuddy

Bleepin' Verbose

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,053 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:03 PM

It works efficiently for creating and naming a series of screen shots, and each one you can edit and add highlighting, censorship, text, shapes, and just about anything you can think of!

It also allows you to specify a broad range of options, use your own editor, and add several extensions that have useful and/or cool effects. I'm pretty impressed so far! The interfaces seem very intuitive as I poked around, and the only thing that threw me off at first is the scroll bars on the edit screen are hidden unless you hover in the right area. If you pan the image instead, your actually moving it off of the canvas and it will re-save that way.

Next time I have to put together a tutorial for a user I will definitely give this a more thorough look. Nice find!

Posted Image
Meditate. Elevate. Appreciate. | "Life is a journey, love is the destination, happiness is the path!"
If I am helping you and have not responded within 48 hours, please send me a PM.
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici (VVVVV)
Excellent Security Advice
Proud member of UNITE

#5 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:11 PM

I just did a quick test with it. Opened a random web page, grabbed an area for a screenshot, added an ellipse, arrow, and text - only took a couple of minutes. One thing I like is the simplicity of it - not a lot of overwhelming options to confuse someone new to this, such as myself. And, yes.... it does appear to be an excellent tool to put a tutorial together. I'll be trying more stuff with it to see just what all it can do - I'll post back my results. At this beginning point, I would surely give it a "thumbs up".

Posted Image

#6 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:39 PM

when asking for help on a forum, it would make a useful tool to show a screenshot and say 'i clicked here'. at that point the helper can either say 'that was correct' or 'you need to click HERE instead'.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users