Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Band Wi-fi Netbooks

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 eturnerumw

eturnerumw

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 06 July 2011 - 05:35 AM

Can anyone tell me what Netbooks, or any mini laptops that have 2.4 and 5Ghz wireless N capabilities? I have searched and can't find where it breaks it down. I even tried just searching for specs for the wireless card that was in some of the laptops, but to no avail. I cannot find this anywhere. Please help me.

Erin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 06 July 2011 - 06:14 AM

I do not think they are available.

BUT : http://www.jr.com/linksys/pe/LKS_AE2500/
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#3 eturnerumw

eturnerumw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2011 - 03:59 PM

It doesn't need to be a netbook, just small enough for a field network engineer to take with him.

#4 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:27 AM

Are USB adapters out of the question? As long as the wireless card in the laptop/netbook is wireless N, then you can connect to 2.4 and 5ghz.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#5 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2011 - 12:56 PM

HERE is a link about the different wireless bands (2.4, 3.6, 5)

HERE is a very cheap, high quality, very small laptop that will do what you need it to, with a 10/100/1000 network port since he is doing network-work. Has a built in b/g/n card.

HERE is a slightly larger screen but approx same specs.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#6 eturnerumw

eturnerumw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2011 - 02:39 PM

No, not entirely out of the question. I'm actually doing research for my boss and he prefers it be built in. I've been calling all the major Brands and asking them but their reps dont know crap. When I asked if a certain netbook was dual band they came back with "Well, it's wireless b/g/n" EVERYTIME, and every company; they had no clue. Even when I explained to them I wanted to know if it supports 2.4GHz and 5GHz they would say well n is both... gee thanks! But to get off my rant, we could always upgrade the internal wifi card, right?

#7 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2011 - 06:23 AM

Yes you can upgrade the internal WIFI device, BUT a wireless N card is able to do both bands. So the two links for laptops I sent you can connect to both bands.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#8 eturnerumw

eturnerumw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:56 AM

Realtek RTL8188CE

Not necessarily... you would think so but the Realtek RTL8188CE 11n Wireless card only does 2.4GHz band. That is in the Dell Inspiron Mini 10... If you you scroll down to the bullets towards the bottom of that link it says it's a "Complete 802.11n solution for 2.4GHz band"... It is only dual band in the sense that its 20MHz and 40MHz, but not 2.4GHz and 5GHz :/

#9 eturnerumw

eturnerumw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2011 - 09:05 AM

I already posted this but I don't see it so here goes again.... Also, in the Dell Latitude 2120 Netbook you have these option for wifi cards... Broadcom BGN (802.11 b/g/n 1x1) and Broadcom AGN (802.11 a/g/n 2x2) even though both are 802.11n only the AGN is is dual band. Not to mention its twice as much as the mini and won't ship until the 15th.

#10 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2011 - 09:50 AM

If you read the wiki leak I posted, go down to the section under protocols, it will show you that the 802.11 protocol for N released in Oct 2009, operates on bandwidthes of 20mhz and 40mhz, for frequencys of 2.5ghz and 5ghz.

It adds MIMO(multiple in/multiple out) technology to make use of 2.4 or 5.

To me, it seems that a wireless N reciever will be able to connect to a 5ghz signal.

To be honest though, from what im reading it doesnt specifically state the difference between wireless N transmitters using MIMO for 2.4 and 5, and wireless N recievers being able to connect to both.

I have a USB adapter that can connect to 2.4 or 5, but i no longer have the box, i will look into the specs on my piece when i get home and tell you what i find. It is a wireless N adapter, it did say dual band on the box, but if it was special compared to other wireless n adapters, IDK.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users