Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Software Licenses + Computer Reformats or Upgrades

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 PhotovoltaicCell

PhotovoltaicCell

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:33 AM

I have ATT Uverse and they have McAfee internet Security as a free download for Uverse subscribers. I can use it on up to 4 computers. (I am also considering Kaspersky because I have heard it is better but it is not free and I don't want to pirate anything)

Here are my questions:

1. If I decide to reformat my computer and reinstall windows sometime after I install the McAfee or other internet security suite, will the program think it is another computer and make me use another of my license keys? How would it remember that this was the computer that one license was for if the computer was reformatted? How do people who purchase programs with kys deal with this?

2. What if I decide to upgrade my computer by installing some new hardware like a hard drive, video card or something after I install the McAfee or other internet security suite? Will it count that as a new computer and thus use up one of my license keys?

(As a side note, I am thinking it is very interesting to wonder what would McAfee or other companies consider to be a new computer. Could I upgrade everything except the ram and still use the same license for a product or would they consider that to be a new computer? If so, would they stop the program and require me to purchase a new license? How would they do this: detect new hardware and have the program disable itself?)

--This is an interesting thought to me and just in my brainstorming I think thatit should have to do with the number of active computers that you still have. If you still only have one computer after upgrading and not 2 then you should still be able to use the license. That's just my thinking, though, and I don;t know what the law or applicable company policies are regarding this.--

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users